1) Dizziness after the TVT-O (Tension Free Vaginal Tape Obturator)
Nausea and vomiting in 1-2 days after the TVT-O (Tension Free Vaginal Tape Obturator) may be experienced, as a side effect of the Sedation Anesthesia or the General Anesthesia, which is noted to be relieved as soon as its effect wears off.
2) Pain after the TVT-O (Tension Free Vaginal Tape Obturator)
- Pain at/or around the surgical wound may be felt as soon as the anesthetic wears off, which is relieved by pain medications prescribed.
- You should refrain from working for 2-3 days after the surgery, because it may cause bruising, inflammation, and more pain. If the pain cannot be relieved by the pain medications, please do not hesitate to come to see Dr. Vitasna.
- Occasionally, you may experience itchiness, irritation or tension around the surgical wound, which will completely heal in 4-6 weeks.
3) Urinary frequency or difficulty in urination after the TVT-O (Tension Free Vaginal Tape Obturator)
- Urinary frequency or difficulty in urination may be noted due to the surgery of the anterior vaginal wall, which affects the urethra. As a result of the difficulty in urination, you may be catheterized for 1-2 days after the surgery.
- After the surgery, you may sometimes experience increase in urinary frequency, slow urinary flow, and/or longer time of urination (compared with before the surgery).
4) Abnormal bleeding after the TVT-O (Tension Free Vaginal Tape Obturator)
- Abnormal bleeding is very seldom noted with less than 1 % of the surgeries. Hematoma may possibly be caused by walking and other activities. Aspirin and other anti-coagulant drugs should be avoided at least 10-15 days before and after the scheduled surgery.
- If excessive bleeding from the surgical wound occurs after the surgery, all expenses for services and treatment for this post-surgical complication will no longer be charged to you. However, if the bleeding or other complications occur due to your non-compliance with the physician’s orders, you will be charged accordingly.
5) Abnormal Vaginal discharge after the TVT-O (Tension Free Vaginal Tape Obturator)
- You may experience abnormal vaginal discharge, a green-yellowish discharge, after the surgery, because the vagina is full of secretion fluid and various kinds of bacteria. This can cause reaction to the surgical wound and sutures. Complete absorption of the sutures will usually occur within 6-8 weeks. Green-yellowish discharge may also persist during this time.
- You may have itching or curd like discharge as a result of vaginal fungal infection, possibly following taking antibiotic to avoid postoperative infection. In case of smelly vaginal discharge or vaginal fungal infection, you have to take additional medications.
6) Inflammation or Infection after the TVT-O (Tension Free Vaginal Tape Obturator)
- You may experience inflammation or infection, because the surgery is performed around the area of the vaginal opening near the urinary and alimentary (fecal) tracts. The surgical wound has a constant contact with vaginal secretion (fluid) and vaginal bacteria that can cause the complications.
- Mostly inflammation or infection of the wound may happen to any women who fail to follow the instructions, follow the instructions incorrectly, or have existing diseases such as diabetes, or have vaginal infection before the surgery. If you have vaginal bacterial infection, antibiotics should be given to you before the surgery.
- Inflammation or infection after the surgery may cause complications; wound deformation, suture mark (scar) or wound tearing leading to abnormal vaginal bleeding. In some cases the vaginal scar located at the G-Spot may interrupt sexual gratification.
7) Other complications after the TVT-O (Tension Free Vaginal Tape Obturator)
- In case of the TVT-O tape moving from the middle urethra, which affects the surgical result and the post-operative difficulty in urination, a corrective surgery may be needed. This mostly happens in other cases done with other surgeries, such as Anterior-Posterior Vaginal Repair with TVT-O (Tension Free Vaginal Tape Obturator).
- Leakage between the urethra, the bladder, and the vagina is theoretically considered a rare precaution. Nevertheless, if you have some vaginal fluid with urine-like smell, please inform Dr. Vitasna immediately for prompt diagnosis and treatment of such symptom.
8) Unsatisfactory results after the TVT-O (Tension Free Vaginal Tape Obturator)
- This surgery has limitations and cannot absolutely ensure results and satisfaction, because there are many other factors influencing the surgical result and satisfaction.
- In case of unsatisfactory results, correction surgery may be performed as appropriate and possible. In this respect, you and the physician should come to discuss for the solution together.
- If correction surgery wound occurs from the complication of this surgery, all expenses for services and treatment will no longer be charged to you. However, if the unsatisfactory results occur due to the complication from your non-compliance with the doctor’s orders, you will be charged accordingly.
Check-up: Dr. Vitasna usually requires you to come for a follow up check-up 1-2 weeks after the TVT-O (Tension Free Vaginal Tape Obturator) Surgery. Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions or concerns.