Dr.Vitasna Ketglang was interviewed by Appeal Magazine on August, 2011
“Labia Majora Plasty, Labia Minora Plasty, Hymenoplasty,
and Vaginal Repair…..Refreshing Your Beloved Area by Vaginal Rejuvenation”
Vaginal Rejuvenation : Apart from the Breasts, the Vagina is an inevitably important part of the body to which women pay a particular attention with regards to its shape and healthy condition.
At present, an emerging state-of-the-art laser technology is becoming more and more helpful. In this respect, Dr. Vitasna Ketglang, a specialist from Cosmetic Gynecology Center, Yanhee General Hospital, says: “Recently, laser technology has been utilized for Cosmetic Vulvovaginal Surgery, an apparent advantage of which is the wound depth can be controlled, and the damages of sub-adjacent vessels and tissues can be lessened, therefore promoting a fast recovery.
The current trends for Vaginal Rejuvenation include Labia Majora Plasty, Labia Minora Plasty, Vaginoplasty or Vaginal Repair, and Hymenoplasty. ”
Vaginal Rejuvenation : Hymen – The Sign of Virginity
- The Hymen can be easily torn by doing exercise, getting in an accident, or using a tampon. Most of the Hymen-prioritized patients are Middle Eastern women, as they need to “bleed” on the first night of marriage. The treatment for such cases is to fix up the torn thin Hymen membrane.
- Also, Dr. Vitasna explains, “It probably doesn’t work methodically 100%; some might also need a Vaginal Repair due to long-term sexual intercourse and a torn Perineum. Thus, Hymenoplasty on its own doesn’t work, but both procedures are needed altogether”.
- Some of the important considerations to be taken are that patients need an hour of post-operative recovery so the physician can monitor the patient before leaving.
- Patients need a post-operative follow up for one week after the surgery. Patients need to lie still in bed within the first 2-3 days as to avoid walking or heavy exercises within the first 4 weeks to avoid damaging the wound, tear the wound, and even causing bleeding.”
Vaginal Rejuvenation : Vaginal repair is divided into the following 2 types.
- 1) Repairs without medical indications are Vaginal Rejuvenation after pregnancy and delivery, lack of sexual confidence caused by loosened Vagina, and lack of sexual pleasure.
- 2) Repairs with medical indications are Vaginal Rejuvenation for Pelvic Organ Prolapse, performed at the anterior and posterior vaginal wall. Generally, the treatment is done with patients whose ages range from 40-50 years or older with 4-7 days recovery period.
Vaginal Repair without medical indications
- After pregnancy and delivery of the baby, a woman’s Vulva and Vagina usually become torn and widened. Severe symptoms may affect their marital life and daily life, which needs Vaginal Repair for Vaginal Rejuvenation.
- The Vaginal Repair on the Posterior Vaginal Wall is a surgery performed for a Posterior Vaginal Wall Prolapse. This is done as well to correct excessive vaginal tissues and then to stitch up the Vaginal Wall with absorbable sutures.
- Post-operative care instructions are certainly important. No walking, lying still in bed in the first 2-3 days after surgery, and no running or heavy exercises in the first 4 weeks to avoid damaging the wound, tearing the wound, or causing bleeding from the wound. Sexual intercourse should be resumed in 6-8 weeks after the operation. A follow up appointment with the doctor is needed to assess/check the wound.
Vaginal Rejuvenation : Labia Minora and Labia Majora Surgery
- Some women’s Labia Minora tissues are large, sagging or asymmetrical, and they experience pain when wearing tight underwear. Therefore, Labia Minora Plasty will help.
- For some aging women, the fat in their Labia Majora is becoming more and more atrophied causing wrinkles. Recently, Labia Lift Surgery or Labia Majora Filling has been launched.
- Foreign patients usually prefer the Labia Majora Lift or Liposuction to avoid the look of a large, fat pubis while wearing tight underwear and skirts.
- Most Thai women encounter an undesirable result from silicone filling. They desire a plump and chubby look but instead the area becomes solidified and becomes unsightly. Labia Majora Reconstruction is needed to correct this.
Wound treatment after the Vaginal Rejuvenation
- With the Labia Majora Plasty and Labia Minora Plasty procedures, the patient can take a shower with soap as usual 24-72 hours after the surgeries. Soaking is not permissible as to achieve a faster healing and to keep the wound dry. Cold compress is applied to the surgical area to decrease swelling in the first 2 days.
Risk of the Vaginal Rejuvenation Surgery
- All surgeries have risks. For example, anesthetics may cause dizziness after the operation. Patients who have undergone Hymenoplasty, if walking hard, may experience bleeding from the wound which may get infected as it is near the urinary tract and the anus.
- Patients with a decreased immune system may have slow wound healing. Patients with diabetes have to come in for primary consultation with a physician to control their blood sugar levels before the surgery.
Laser technology and the Vaginal Rejuvenation
- Laser innovation is a new-emerging trend, as the state-of-the-art technology for Vulva and Vaginal Surgery, with the following advantages: Helping to close blood vessels thus causing less bleeding, better surgical visibility and an easier operation.
- The use of laser allows precision control of wound depth compared to that made by a surgical knife. Overall, this results in less blood vessels damage, less bleeding, less complications and positively faster wound recovery.
Dr. Vitasna’s Suggestion
“ About the Vaginal Rejuvenation – Vaginal Repair isn’t recommended as a solution to your marital problems, or in cases where the woman did not inform her partner before making a decision, as the patient has to abstain from sexual intercourse 8 weeks after the operation. If you are still having problems with your married life, such problem might even get worse. Vaginal Repair needs to be considered carefully and spouses should have a clear understanding before the operation.”
Tip : ” It is unnecessary to undergo Vaginal Repair more than once if the patient doesn’t have any more children after the surgery.”