Post-Operative Care Instructions for TVT-O (Tension Free Vaginal Tape -Obturator) technique
1) Post-operative processes after the TVT-O (Tension Free Vaginal Tape -Obturator)
- After the TVT-O (Tension Free Vaginal Tape -Obturator), the surgical wounds on both sides of the thighs, and the surgical wound inside of the vagina need the gauze packing to stop the bleeding. Urinary frequency or difficulty in urination may be noted due to the tension of the tape. As a result, you may be catheterized to avoid the retention urine especially in the first 1-2 days after the surgery.
- After the surgery, you will be monitored at recovery room for 1-2 hours. When you are conscious with normal vital sign, the anesthesiologist will allow you to be monitored in the Inpatient Building.
- In the Inpatient Building, you may experience pains around the surgical wounds on both of the thighs, and the surgical wound inside of the vagina, so you should take an acetaminophen, an anti-inflammatory, a laxative, and an antibiotic, as prescribed by Dr. Vitasna. In case you have no recovery from the acetaminophen, you will get the analgesic injection. You should take a rest to monitor and reduce pain and inflammation around the surgical wound.
- Within 24 hours after the surgery, Dr. Vitasna will remove the Vaginal packing from the vagina. You will be able to have movement and walk around. You should not take a shower which may potentially cause infection (perhaps rub the body dry), cleaning the perineum area after fecal excretion may be done using water and toweling gently.
- Within the first 1-2 days after the surgery, Dr. Vitasna will remove the gauze pack from the surgical wounds on both sides of the thighs, and she will clean the surgical wounds at both sides of the thighs with antiseptic. The surgical wounds will then be covered with the Tegaderm ® to prevent moisture around the surgical wound, which may potentially cause infection.
Dr. Vitasna will allow you to return home after the following things are checked…
- 1) No abnormal bleeding occurs from the surgical wound (s).
- 2) You are asked to review post-operative care instructions.
- 3) You can have urinated by yourself after the urinary catheter removal.
2) Water contact & Post-operative care instructions at home after the TVT-O (Tension Free Vaginal Tape -Obturator)
- At home, in a few days after the surgery, you may experience some pain around the thigh (s). Thus, you must take an anti-inflammatory drug, acetaminophen, and a laxative drug, especially the antibiotics, which should be wholly completed.
- After 1-2 days of the surgery, you are allowed to take a shower, you should clean the perineum area with soap daily, when you are taking a shower in the morning or before bedtime. Do not put anything to clean inside of the vagina.
- Within the first 2-3 days after the surgery, you should take a rest (refrain from work) and be still to enable the wound to heal faster, and have little movement as possible to avoid wound disruption.
- Dr. Vitasna will have a post-operative appointment with you 1 week after the surgery, she will check the surgical wounds, and you may need to be removed the Tegaderm ® from your thighs.
- You may experience light reddish bleeding out of the vagina in around 1-2 weeks after the surgery. A slim sanitary napkin should be used to monitor the post-operative bleeding. In case of a lot of bleeding or blood clot, swollen reddish wound and high fever, please contact the Hospital for suggestions or come to see Dr. Vitasna for the surgical wound examination.
- Within the first 2 weeks after the surgery, cleaning the perineum after urinary excretion may be done with sanitary wipes, and after fecal excretion done using water and toweling gently. You should try to avoid moisture around the surgical wounds on both sides of the thighs to keep the area dry to let it heal faster.
- After the surgery, you may have all kinds of food, with the exceptions of alcoholic drinks, pickled food, and smoking for about 2 weeks.
- You may have abnormal vaginal discharge, a green-yellowish discharge after the surgery, because the vagina is full of secretion fluid and various kinds of bacteria. This can cause reaction to the surgical wound and sutures. Complete absorption of the sutures will usually occur within 6-8 weeks. Green-yellowish discharge may also persist during this time.
- You may have itching or curd like discharge as a result of vaginal fungal infection, possibly following taking antibiotic to avoid post-operative infection. In case of smelly vaginal discharge or vaginal fungal infection, you have to take additional medications.
3) Recovery period after the TVT-O (Tension Free Vaginal Tape -Obturator)
- Recovery varies with each woman. You may return to work after 2-3 days of the surgery. Moreover, you should follow the physician’s appointment for follow up examination or treatment.
- Within the first 2 weeks after the surgery, tissues are beginning to produce and form new blood capillaries, and the surgical wounds are expected to start healing. You may start your daily activities gradually.
- Within 2-4 weeks after the surgery, the surgical wound is expected to heal appropriately, you may start your usual activities gradually. Strenuous physical activities should be limited.
- After 4 weeks of the surgery, you may do your usual activities. Relaxing exercises and lifting light weights are permitted. However, you should refrain from running, soaking in the bathtub, swimming, heavy lifting, cycling, other heavy activities, and sexual intercourse for 6-8 weeks after the surgery.
4) Suture removal after the TVT-O (Tension Free Vaginal Tape -Obturator)
- The material (s) used is the suture which dissolves slowly (within 4-6 weeks). However, for some women, the suture takes longer than 6 weeks to completely dissolve, consequently causing irritation. For women who experience itching caused by the dissolving sutures and the process of healing, you will be prescribed antihistamine to control the itching.
5) Appointment after the TVT-O (Tension Free Vaginal Tape -Obturator)
- Dr. Vitasna will have a post-operative appointment in 1-2 weeks after the TVT-O Surgery or as appropriate. Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions or concerns.