Do your Labia Minora bother you physically, or emotionally?
Labia Minora Reduction can alleviate your emotional and physical discomfort! Many women are born with enlarged labia minora which make them feel uncomfortable with physical daily activities. The enlarged labia minora also embarrasses them during sexual activity.
The appearance of the Labia Minora changes due to aging, trauma, or childbirth. Many younger and older women have Labia Minora (inner lips) that are too large and unsightly. Unilateral or bilaterally enlarged labia minora can occur before or after childbearing and can cause the following problems in a woman’s life:
- Pain from labia minora rubbing up against panties and jeans. Labia minora causing unsightly bulge visible when wearing bathing suit and accidentally hanging out of bathing suit leading to embarrassment.
- Elongated labia minora causing deviation of urinary stream with urine not directly entering toilet but soiling buttocks and legs.
- Elongated labia minora interferes during sexual intercourse due to being pulled and dragged into the vagina leading to unnecessary discomfort and embarrassment.
- You can choose exactly how they want your labia minora to look after the procedure. Dr. Vitasna has developed her own technique called V-technique (Vitasna technique), a modified wedge resection of the hypertrophied tissues of the labia minora (by careful, refined, wedge linear resection) to make the edges of the labia look more natural and smooth.
Recently, laser has been applicable to the Labia Minora Reduction procedure. Benefits include more precision and accuracy as a result of surgical wound control, less blood loss, less risk of vessel and lower tissue damage, and quicker recovery time; thus bringing about better results than using the old conventional scalpel procedure.
General Notes & Precautions
1) Important points to consider about the Labia Minora Reduction
- This surgery is one of many vaginal cosmetic surgeries done mainly to improve the appearance of the labia minora by enhancing or improving the appearance of the labia minora and reducing or resolving symptoms of discomfort and irritation from the enlargement of the labia minora.
- This surgery is not allowed for women with immunodeficiency. The procedure is not recommended unless you have a discussion with your spouse because this may lead to problems and misunderstandings caused by refraining from sexual intercourse for quite a time.
- This surery has limitations and cannot absolutely ensure satisfactory results because there are so many factors affecting the surgery’s success.In case of unexpected surgical results or complications, corrective surgery is an option and will be discussed between you and the surgeon. If correction surgery happens due to the complication of the surgery, all expenses for services and treatment will no longer be charged to you. However, if the unsatisfactory results occur due to the complication from your non-compliance with the doctor’s orders, you will be charged accordingly.
- The important preparations you should know before the surgery are within the day of the appointment you should not drive yourself after the procedure in order to protect against any accidents caused by dizziness as a result of the sedation. You should also take a rest (refrain from work) and be still for 1-2 days after the surgery to enable the wound to heal faster. You should have as little movement as possible to avoid wound disruption for 1 week after the surgery, refrain from some types of exercise and sexual intercourse, for 4-6 weeks after the surgery.
- This surgery is one of the most complex and meticulous cosmetic surgeries performed today. It requires extensive experience, precision, and accuracy to create the optimal results you desire and deserve. Many surgeons have little to no experience with this type of advanced cosmetic surgery. You should research and be conscious of the surgeon’s educational background, training, and practical experience.
- The surgery is performed under General Anesthesia or Intravenous (IV) Sedation and Local Anesthesia. You have to refrain from drinking water or food for at least 6 hours prior to the procedure in order to decrease the risk of aspirating gastric contents during or after procedure. This complication is very serious and you need to strictly follow our recommendations.
2) Before the Labia Minora Reduction
- Prior to the operation, you will be invited to a pre-operative consultation where you will be evaluated for surgery. You will be received by a member of the nursing staff in our Center who will make inquiries regarding your previous medical history. In case of existing diseases or drug allergies, please inform the medical staff before the consultation. You should prepare and take with you any pills or treatment medications you are currently taking.
- You can possibly have the surgery done on the day of your consultation depending on the availability of Dr. Vitasna’s schedule. Otherwise you may book for a possible surgery on the day of your consultation. This you may do through online pre-consultation and arrangement. It is best to undergo the surgery after your period. It is not advisable to do the surgery just before the period starts or during the period.
- It is advisable to have a bath or perhaps a shower before you come into the hospital. You may need to bring along with you loosely fitting daytime clothing, personal hygiene stuff, loose fitting underwear, and sanitary pads.
- A staff nurse will usher you to a treatment room where Dr. Vitasna will investigate your health history and conduct both a general check-up and internal check-up. In case you have vaginal fungal or bacterial infection, you should completely treat it before the procedure to avoid wound infection after the surgery.
- After the examination and assessment, you will discuss with Dr. Vitasna about your expectations and concerns. She will then explain to you about the Labiaplasty techniques, processes of the procedure and some potential post-operative risks and complications prior to decision-making. You may also be asked if you have any allergies or any condition that wouldn’t make you a good candidate for the surgery, as well as other additional inquiries. After you have chosen the best alternative for your case, prices and quotes will be written down with you. —This ends your consultation.
3) The cost of the Labia Minora Reduction
- The cost of the Surgery will include professional fees for the anesthesiologist and the surgeon, all the instruments, home medications and medicines used for the procedure as well. Fees for laboratory work-up for other existing diseases that you may have and the professional fees for the anesthesiologist and the surgeon for corrective surgery is not included in the package.
The Processes of the Labia Minora Reduction
1) On an Appointment day you plan to have the surgery
- You have to refrain from drinking water or food for at least 6 hours prior to the surgery in order to decrease the risk of aspirating gastric contents during or after surgery. This complication is very serious and you need to strictly follow our recommendations
- Before you go through the pre- operative processes, if you have more questions you will meet Dr. Vitasna for any additional information. In case of uncertainty, doubt and worry or for being uncomfortable for any reason, you should postpone the procedure.
- If you are a good candidate for the surgery, our medical staff will help you sign and review the proper consent forms, which give us permission to perform surgery on you. Then a staff nurse will review the post-operative care instructions you need to do after the surgery and will guide you through the process of payment.
- If you are wearing nail polish or makeup, you may be asked to remove it. Contact lenses are to be removed as well as glasses and dentures. Jewelries are also to be taken out. Should you be unable to remove some piece of jewelry, a protective tape will be placed over it.
- After all these have been done, a staff member will accompany you to the operating theater and will hand you over the care of the anesthetic team. A staff nurse is going to check your information (name, birth date), assist you to change into a gown, and provide you with an identity wristband. She will assess your vital signs or the basic tests such as your temperature, respiration, your blood pressure and your pulse.
- You will be directed to the anesthesiologist who will administer the anesthesia during the surgery. Please tell him/her about your allergies to medications, your medical history, dental treatments, previous surgeries you have had, and any family history with anesthesia problems.
2) During the Labia Minora Reduction procedure
- This surgery will be performed in our Operating Room for 1-2 hours under Intravenous (IV) Sedation Anesthesia. While you are sleeping, Dr. Vitasna will apply Local Anesthesia on the area. Then Dr. Vitasna will perform labiaplasty using her own Labiaplasty technique by trimming away excessive skin.
- Afterwards, she will close the wound edges with absorbable sutures. Using small dissolving sutures results in a smoother wound compared to using large ones. It also helps decrease surgical scars due to less pressure of the small ones compared to that of the large ones. Dr. Vitasna will use a special technique (utilizing fewer sutures) to produce a smoother wound.
The rate of complications after the Labiaplasty: Labia Minora Reduction is low especially when laser is utilized by an experienced surgeon and you carefully and religiously follow our post-op policies. In the unlikely event of a post-op complication, you should immediately see Dr. Vitasna for early examination and treatment and prevent worsening of the complication.