Labia Majora Reduction (Labial Lift) is a Cosmetic Gynecology Surgery done mainly to improve the appearance of the Labia Majora. Many women are born with enlarged or sagging Labia Majora that make them feel uncomfortable with physical daily activities. The enlarged or sagging Labia Majora embarrasses them during sexual activity.
Labia Majora can be enlarged with excess skin and tissue. It may be enlarged genetically, from wrinkles secondary to childbirth, or due to aging, and can cause the following problems in a woman’s life:
- Interference with sexual intercourse due to excess Labia Majora tissue being pulled leading to unnecessary discomfort and embarrassment.
- Chafing and pain from Labia Majora rubbing up against panties and causing unsightly bulge visible when wearing a bathing suit.
Recently, laser has been applicable to the Labia Majora Reduction surgery. Benefits include more precision and accuracy as a result of surgical wound control, less blood loss, less risk of vessel and lower tissue damage, and quicker recovery time; thus bringing about better results than using the old conventional scalpel procedure.
General Notes & Precautions
1) Important points to consider about the Labia Majora Reduction (Labial Lift)
- This surgery is a surgical procedure to reduce the size, and enhance the shape or correct the disproportioned Labia Majora. You can choose exactly how you want your Labia Majora to look after the surgery. This needs to be discussed with Dr. Vitasna. After injecting the Local Anesthesia on the area, the enlarged and redundant tissue is gently trimmed away. This may be performed together with the Labia Minora Reduction or other types of Cosmetic Gynecology Surgery.
- This surgery is not allowed for women with immunodeficiency. In addition, this surgery is not recommended unless you have any discussion with your spouse as this may lead to problems, and misunderstandings caused by refraining from sexual intercourse for quite a time.
- This surgery has limitations and cannot absolutely ensure satisfactory result,s because there are so many factors affecting the surgery’s success. In case of unexpected surgical results or complications, corrective surgery is an option, and will be discussed between you and the surgeon.
- If the correction surgery wound occurs from the complication of the surgery, all expenses for services and treatment will no longer be charged to you. However, if the unsatisfactory results occur due to the complication from your non-compliance with the doctor’s orders, you will be charged accordingly.
- This surgery is performed in our operating room for approximately 1-2 hours under the General Anesthesia, or the Intravenous (IV) Sedation and Local Anesthesia. You have to refrain from drinking water or food for at least 6 hours prior to the surgery in order to decrease the risk of aspirating gastric contents during or after the surgery. This complication is very serious, and you need to strictly follow our recommendations.
- The important preparations you should know before the surgery are that within 3-5 days after the surgery, you should take a rest (refrain from work) and be still to enable the wound to heal faster. You should have little movement as possible to avoid wound disruption for 1 week after the surgery. You should also refrain from some types of strenuous exercise and sexual intercourse for at least 6-8 weeks after the surgery.
Before and After Photos
Risk, Side Effects and complications of the Labia Majora Reduction (Labial Lift)
2) Before the Labia Majora Reduction (Labial Lift)
- You will be invited to a pre-operative consultation room, where you will be evaluated for surgery. You will be received by a member of the nursing staff in our Center, who will make inquiries regarding your previous medical history as well as arrange for your vital signs such as temperature, respiration, blood pressure and pulse. In case of existing diseases or drug allergies, please inform the medical staff before the consultation. You should prepare and take with you any pills or treatment medications, you are currently taking.
- You can possibly have the surgery done on the day of your consultation depending on the availability of Dr. Vitasna’s schedule. Otherwise, you may book for a possible surgery on the day of your consultation. This you may do through online pre-consultation and arrangement. It is best to undergo the surgery after your period. It is not advisable to do the surgery just before the period starts or during the period.
- A staff nurse will usher you to a treatment room, where Dr. Vitasna will investigate your health history, and conduct both a general check-up and internal check-up. In case you have vaginal fungal or bacterial infection, you should completely treat it before the surgery to avoid wound infection after the surgery.
- After the examination and assessment, you will discuss with Dr. Vitasna about your expectations and concerns. She will then explain to you about the methods (or techniques), processes of the surgery, some potential post-operative risks and complications prior to decision-making. You may also be asked if you have any allergies or any condition that wouldn’t make you a good candidate for the surgery as well as other additional inquiries.
- After you have chosen the best alternative for your case, prices and quotes will be written down with you. —This ends your consultation.
3) The cost of the Labia Majora Reduction (Labial Lift)
- The cost of the surgery will include professional fees for the anesthesiologist and the surgeon, all the instruments, home medications, and medicines used for the surgery as well. Fees for laboratory work-up for other existing diseases that you may have, and the professional fees for the anesthesiologist and the surgeon for corrective surgery are not included in the package.
4) Read more about : The Pre Operative Processes on the day of the Surgery
The Processes of the Labia Majora Reduction (Labial Lift)
1) During the Labia Majora Reduction (Labial Lift) Surgery
- While you are sleeping, Dr. Vitasna will apply Local Anesthesia on the area. Then Dr. Vitasna will perform the surgery using her own technique by trimming away excessive skin of Labia Majora (between Labia Minora and Labia Majora) in a crescent-shaped.
- Afterwards, she will close the wound edges with absorbable suture. The suturing is done alternatively with 2 or 3 layers to avoid post-operative bleeding. The surgical wound will be hidden between Labia Minora and Labia Majora.
Labia Majora Reduction (Labial Lift) is one of the most complex and meticulous cosmetic surgeries performed today. It requires extensive experience, precision, and accuracy to create the optimal results you desire and deserve. Many surgeons have little to no experience with this type of advanced cosmetic surgery. You should research and be conscious of the surgeon’s educational background, training, and practical experience.