Risks and Complications of the MiniArc Sling
1) Pain after the MiniArc Sling
- After the MiniArc Sling, pain at/or around the surgical wound may be felt as soon as the anesthetic wears off, which is relieved by pain medications prescribed days. You should refrain from working to avoid more bruise and severe pain. Should you experience more pain, please do not be hesitant to come to see Dr. Vitasna.
- Occasionally, you may experience itchiness, irritation, or tension around the surgical wound, which will completely heal in 2-4 weeks.
2) Urinary frequency or difficulty in urination after the MiniArc Sling
- Urinary frequency or difficulty in urination may be noted due to the surgery of the anterior vaginal wall, which affects the urethra. As a result of the difficulty in urination, you may be catheterized for 1-2 days after the surgery.
- After the surgery, you may sometimes experience increase in urinary frequency, slow urinary flow and/or longer time of urination (compared with before the surgery).
3) Abnormal bleeding after the MiniArc Sling
- After the surgery, abnormal bleeding is very seldom noted with less than 1 % of surgeries. Hematoma may possibly be caused by walking and other activities. Aspirin and other anti-coagulant drugs should be avoided at least 10-15 days before and after the scheduled surgery.
- If excessive bleeding from the surgical wound occurs after the surgery, all expenses for services and treatment for this post-surgical complication will no longer be charged to you. However, if the bleeding or other complications occur due to your non-compliance with the physician’s orders, you will be charged accordingly.
4) Abnormal Vaginal discharge after the MiniArc Sling
- You may experience may have abnormal vaginal discharge, green-yellowish discharge after the surgery, because the vagina is full of secretion fluid and various kinds of bacteria. This can cause reaction to the surgical wound and sutures. Complete absorption of the sutures will usually occur within 6-8 weeks. Green-yellowish discharge may also persist during this time.
- You may have itching or curd like discharge as a result of vaginal fungal infection, possibly following taking antibiotic to avoid postoperative infection, and needing oral anti-fungal medication or suppository.
5) Inflammation or Infection after the MiniArc Sling
- You may experience inflammation or infection, because the surgery is performed around the area of the vaginal opening near urinary and alimentary (fecal) tracts, and the surgical wound has a constant contact with vaginal secretion ( fluid ) and vaginal bacteria that can cause the complications.
- Mostly inflammation or infection after the surgery may happen to any women who fail to follow the instructions, follow the instructions incorrectly, have existing diseases such as diabetes, or have vaginal infection before the surgery. If you have vaginal bacterial infection, the antibiotics should be given to you before the surgery.
- Inflammation or infection after the surgery may cause complications, wound deformation, suture mark (scar), or wound tearing which leads to abnormal vaginal bleeding. In case of the vaginal scar located at the G-Spot may interrupt the sexual gratification.
6) Other complications after the MiniArc Sling
- In case of the MiniArc Sling tape moving from the middle urethra which affects the surgical result and the post-operative difficulty in urination, a corrective surgery may be needed–this mostly happens in other cases done with other surgeries, such as Anterior-Posterior Vaginal Repair with Single Incision Sling (MiniArc Sling).
- Leakage between urethra, bladder and vagina is theoretically considered a rare precaution. Nevertheless, if you have some vaginal fluid with urine-like smell, please inform Dr. Vitasna immediately for prompt diagnosis and treatment of such symptom.
7) Unsatisfactory results after the MiniArc Sling
- This surgery has limitations and cannot absolutely ensure results and satisfaction, because there are many other factors influencing the surgical result and satisfaction.
- In case of unsatisfactory results, correction surgery may be performed as appropriate and possible. In this respect, you and the physician should come to discuss for the solution together.
- If correction surgery wound occurs from the complication of this surgery, all expenses for services and treatment will no longer be charged to you. However, if the unsatisfactory results occur due to the complication from your non-compliance with the doctor’s orders, you will be charged accordingly.
Check-up: Dr. Vitasna usually requires you to come for a follow up check-up 1-2 weeks after the MiniArc Sling Surgery. Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions or concerns.