Post-Operative Care Instructions for Vaginoplasty/Posterior Vaginal Repair
1) Post-operative processes after the Vaginoplasty/Posterior Vaginal Wall Repair
- After the Vaginoplasty/Posterior Vaginal Repair, vaginal packing is done for 24 hours to stop the bleeding, and a urinary catheter will be inserted for 1-2 days after the surgery. Nausea and vomiting may be experienced, as a side effect of the Intravenous sedation or the General Anesthesia, which is noted to be relieved as soon as its effect wears off.
- After the Vaginoplasty/Posterior Vaginal Repair, you are assured to be well taken care of in a safe and professional way by our highly trained and educated staff. You will be monitored at the recovery room for 1-2 hours. When you are conscious with normal vital sign, the anesthesiologist will allow you to be monitored in the Inpatient Building.
- In the Inpatient Building, you will be given an antibiotic to prevent post-operative infection, a laxative drug to prevent constipation, an anti-inflammatory drug, and an acetaminophen to lessen the wound pain. If the pain cannot be relieved from the acetaminophen, the nurse will administer an analgesic by injection as ordered by Dr. Vitasna.
- In a few days after the Vaginoplasty/Posterior Vaginal Repair, you may experience an urge to pass stool (straining) and a sense of incomplete emptying even after the enema before surgery. This is caused by the sutured posterior vaginal wall between rectum and vagina. Taking a rest is recommended to reduce this symptom. Laxatives will be given to prevent constipation.
- Within the first 1-2 days after the Vaginoplasty/Posterior Vaginal Repair, you should not take a shower, which may potentially cause infection –perhaps rub the body dry. Cleaning the perineum area after urinary excretion may be done with sanitary wipes and after fecal excretion done using water and toweling gently.
- After 1-2 days of the Vaginoplasty/Posterior Vaginal Repair, you will be able to have movement and walk around. The urinary catheter will be removed. After that Dr. Vitasna will ensure that no abnormal bleeding from the surgical wound occurs, and you can have urination by yourself after the catheter removal, as well as you are asked to well review post-operative care instructions. Then Dr. Vitasna will allow you to return home.
2) Post-operative care instructions at home after the Vaginoplasty/Posterior Vaginal Wall Repair
- At home, you must take an antibiotic, an anti-inflammatory drugs, a laxative, and acetaminophen, especially the antibiotic should be wholly completed.
- After 1-2 days of the Vaginoplasty/Posterior Vaginal Repairy, you are allowed to take a shower. You should clean the surgical wound at the perineum area with soap daily, when you are taking a shower in the morning or before bedtime. Do not put anything to clean inside of the vagina.
- Within the first 2-3 days after the Vaginoplasty/Posterior Vaginal Repair, you should take a rest (refrain from work) and be still to enable the wound to heal faster, and have little movement as possible to avoid wound disruption.
- You may experience light reddish bleeding out of the vagina in around 1-2 weeks after the Vaginoplasty/Posterior Vaginal Repair. A slim sanitary napkin should be used to monitor the post-operative bleeding. In case of a lot of bleeding or reddish blood clot, swollen reddish wound and high fever, please contact the Hospital for suggestions or come to see Dr. Vitasna for the surgical wound examination.
- Within the first 2 weeks after the Vaginoplasty/Posterior Vaginal Repair, cleaning the surgical wound at the perineum area after urinary excretion may be done with sanitary wipes, and after fecal excretion done using water and toweling gently. You should try to avoid moisture around the surgical wound to keep the area dry to let it heal faster.
- After the Vaginoplasty/Posterior Vaginal Repair, you may have all kinds of food, with the exceptions of alcoholic drinks, pickled food, and smoking for about 2 weeks.
- You may have abnormal vaginal discharge, a green-yellowish discharge after the Vaginoplasty/Posterior Vaginal Repair, because the vagina is full of secretion fluid and various kinds of bacteria. This can cause reaction to the surgical wound and sutures. Complete absorption of the sutures will usually occur within 6-8 weeks. Green-yellowish discharge may also persist during this time.
- You may experience itching or curd like discharge as a result of vaginal fungal, possibly following taking antibiotics to avoid post-operative infection. In case of smelly vaginal discharge or vaginal fungal infection, you have to take additional medications.
3) Recovery period for the Vaginoplasty/Posterior Vaginal Wall Repair
- Recovery varies individually. You may return to work within 3-5 days after the surgery. Moreover, you should follow Dr. Vitasna’s appointment for follow up examination or treatment.
- Within the first 2 weeks after the Vaginoplasty/Posterior Vaginal Repair, tissues are beginning to produce and form new blood capillaries, and the surgical wound are expected to start healing. You may start your daily activities gradually.
- After the first 2 weeks to 4 weeks after the Vaginoplasty/Posterior Vaginal Repair, the surgical wound is expected to heal appropriately, you may start your usual activities gradually, and strenuous physical activities should be limited.
- After 4 weeks of the Vaginoplasty/Posterior Vaginal Repair, you may do your usual activities. Relaxing exercises and lifting light weights are permitted. However, you should refrain from running, soaking in the bathtub, swimming, heavy lifting, cycling, other heavy activities, and sexual intercourse for 6-8 weeks after the surgery.
4) Suture removal after the Vaginoplasty/Posterior Vaginal Wall Repair
- The material (s) used is the suture which dissolves slowly (within 4-6 weeks). However, for some women, the suture takes longer than 6 weeks to completely dissolve, consequently causing irritation. For women who experience itching caused by the dissolving sutures and the process of healing, they will be prescribed antihistamine to control the itching.
5) Appointment after the Vaginoplasty/Posterior Vaginal Wall Repair
Dr. Vitasna will have a post-operative appointment in 1-2 weeks after the Vaginoplasty/ Poterior Vaginal Wall Repair or as appropriate. Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions or concerns.