Post-Operative Care Instructions for MiniArc Sling
1. Post-operative processes after the MiniArc Sling
- After the MiniArc Sling, you will be monitored for 1-2 hours at recovery room. When you are conscious with no abnormal bleeding, able to urinate, and have reviewed the post-operative care instructions, Dr. Vitasna will allow you to return home.
2. Water contact & Post-operative care instructions at home after the MiniArc Sling
- At home, after the surgery, you may experience pains in the surgical area in the first 1-2 days, so you should take an acetaminophen, an anti-inflammatory drug, and an antibiotic drug, especially the antibiotic, which should be wholly completed.
- Within a day after the surgery, you should not take a shower, which may potentially cause infection –perhaps rub the body dry.
- After a day of the surgery, you may walk around. You are allowed to take a shower, you should clean the perineum area with soap, when you are taking a shower in the morning or before bedtime. Do not put anything to clean inside of the vagina.
- Within the first 1-2 days after the surgery, you should take a rest (refrain from work) and be still to enable the wound to heal faster, and have little movement as possible to avoid wound disruption.
- You may experience light reddish bleeding out of the vagina in around 1-2 weeks after the surgery. A slim sanitary napkin should be used to monitor the post-operative bleeding. In case of a lot of bleeding or blood clot, swollen reddish wound and high fever, please contact the Hospital for suggestions or come to see Dr. Vitasna for the surgical wound examination.
- Within the first 2 weeks after the surgery, cleaning the perineum after urinary excretion may be done with sanitary wipes, and after fecal excretion done using water and toweling gently. You should try to avoid moisture around the surgical wound to keep the area dry to let it heal faster.
- After the surgery, you may have all kinds of food, with the exceptions of alcoholic drinks, pickled food, and smoking for about 2 weeks.
- You may have abnormal vaginal discharge, a green-yellowish discharge after the surgery, because the vagina is full of secretion fluid and various kinds of bacteria. This can cause reaction to the surgical wound and sutures. Complete absorption of the sutures will usually occur within 6-8 weeks. Green-yellowish discharge may also persist during this time.
- You may have itching or curd like discharge as a result of vaginal fungal infection, possibly following taking antibiotic to avoid post-operative infection. In case of smelly vaginal discharge or vaginal fungi infection, you have to take additional medications.
3. Recovery period after the MiniArc Sling
- Recovery varies with each woman. You may return to work after 1-2 days of the surgery. Moreover, you should follow Dr. Vitasna’s appointment for follow up examination or treatment.
- Within the first 2 weeks after the surgery, tissues are beginning to produce and form new blood capillaries, and the surgical wound are expected to start healing. You may start your daily activities gradually.
- After the first 2 weeks to 4 weeks after the surgery, the surgical wound is expected to heal appropriately; you may start your usual activities gradually. Strenuous physical activities should be limited.
- After 4 weeks of the surgery, you may do your usual activities. Relaxing exercises and lifting light weights are permitted. However, you should refrain from running, soaking in the bathtub, swimming, heavy lifting, cycling, other heavy activities, and sexual intercourse for 6-8 weeks after the surgery.
4. Suture removal after the MiniArc Sling
- The material (s) used is the suture which dissolves slowly (within 4-6 weeks). However, for some women, the suture takes longer than 6 weeks to completely dissolve, consequently causing irritation. For women who experience itching caused by the dissolving sutures and the process of healing, you will be prescribed antihistamine to control the itching.
5. Appointment after the Single Incision Sling (MiniArc Sling)
- Dr. Vitasna will have a post-operative appointment in 1-2 weeks after the MiniArc Sling or as appropriate. Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions or concerns.