Post-Operative Care Instructions for Labia Majora Reconstruction (post improper silicone injection)
1. Post-operative processes after the Labia Majora Reconstruction (post improper silicone injection)
- After the Labia Majora Reconstruction (post improper silicone injection, the surgical wound needs to be covered with a gauze pack to stop the bleeding. The blood and lymph drainage tubes (wound drain) were placed and put on the abdominal surface, and a urinary catheter is inserted for 3-5 days after the surgery.
- Nausea and vomiting may be experienced, as a side effect of the General Anesthesia, which is noted to be relieved as soon as its effect wears off. You will be monitored at recovery room for 1-2 hours. When you are conscious with normal vital sign, the anesthesiologist will allow you to be monitored in the Inpatient Building.
- In the Inpatient Building, you may experience pains in the first 2-3 days, so you should take an acetaminophen, an anti-inflammatory drug, a laxative, and an antibiotic, as prescribed by Dr. Vitasna. In case you have no recovery from the acetaminophen, you will get the analgesic injection. You should take a rest to monitor and reduce pain and inflammation around the surgical wound.
- Within the first 3-5 days after the surgery, you will be able to have movement and walk around. You should not take a shower, which may potentially cause infection (perhaps rub the body dry), cleaning the surgical wound and the perineum area after fecal excretion may be done using water and toweling gently.
- After 3-5 days of the surgery, the urinary catheter will be removed. Dr. Vitasna will remove a gauze pack, and she will clean the surgical wound with antiseptic.
Dr. Vitasna will allow you to return home after the following things are checked….
- 1) No abnormal bleeding occurs from the surgical wound.
- 2) You are asked to review post-operative care instructions.
- 3) You can have urinated by yourself after the urinary catheter removal.
- 4) No more blood or lymph in the drainage tubes, and then Dr. Vitasna will remove the blood and lymph drainage tubes.
2. Water contact & Post-operative care instructions at home after Labia Majora Reconstruction (post improper silicone injection)
- At home, you must take an antibiotic, an anti-inflammatory drug to lessen the wound pain, an acetaminophen, and a laxative. The antibiotic should be completely consumed according to schedule.
- Within the first 5-7 days after the surgery, you should take a rest (refrain from work) and be still to enable the wound to heal faster, and have little movement as possible to avoid wound disruption. You are not allowed to take a shower, which may potentially cause infection–perhaps rub the body dry. After rub the body dry, clean the wound with antiseptic daily in the morning and before bedtime, and then use a warm dryer for 10-15 minutes around the surgical wound to keep the area dry.
- After 5-7 days of the surgery, you are allowed to take a shower, you should clean the surgical wound and the perineum area with soap daily, when you are taking a shower in the morning and before bedtime. Continue to clean the wound with antiseptic daily after you took a shower in the morning and before bedtime, then using warm dryer for 10-15 minutes around the surgical wound to keep the area dry for at least one more week.
- You may experience light reddish bleeding out of the surgical wound in around 1-2 weeks after the surgery. You should use a sanitary napkin to monitor the bleeding. In case of excessive bleeding or reddish blood clot, swollen wound and high fever, please contact the Center immediately for suggestions or come to see Dr. Vitasna for the surgical wound examination.
- Within the first 2 weeks after the surgery, cleaning the surgical wound and the perineum area after urinary excretion may be done with sanitary wipes (Do not use tap water, because we want the surgical area as dry as possible), and after fecal excretion done using water and toweling gently. You should try to avoid moisture around the surgical wound to keep the area dry to let it heal faster.
- After the surgery, you may have all kinds of food, but should refrain from alcoholic drinks, pickled food, and smoking for about 2 weeks.
- After the surgery, you may experience itching or green-curd like discharge as a result of vaginal fungal infection, possibly following taking antibiotic to avoid post-operative infection, and needing oral anti-fungal medication or suppository.
3. Recovery period after the Labia Majora Reconstruction (post improper silicone injection)
- Recovery varies with each woman. You may return to work after 5-7 days of the surgery. Moreover, you should follow the physician’s appointment for follow up examination or treatment.
- Within the first 2 weeks after the surgery, tissues are beginning to produce and form new blood capillaries, and the surgical wound are expected to start healing. You may start your daily activities gradually.
- After the first 2 weeks to 4 weeks after the surgery, the surgical wound is expected to heal appropriately, you may start your usual activities; strenuous physical activities should be limited.
- After 4 weeks of the surgery, you may resume your usual activities. Relaxing exercises and lifting light weights are permitted. However, you should refrain from energy-consuming activities, running, soaking in the bathtub, swimming, heavy lifting, cycling, other heavy activities, and sexual intercourse for 6-8 weeks after the surgery.
4. Suture removal after the Labia Majora Reconstruction (post improper silicone injection)
- The material (s) used is the suture which dissolves slowly (within 4-6 weeks). However, for some women, the suture takes longer than 6 weeks to completely dissolve, consequently causing irritation. For women who experience itching caused by the dissolving sutures and the process of healing, you will be prescribed antihistamine to control the itching.
5. Appointment after the Labia Majora Reconstruction (post improper silicone injection)
- Dr. Vitasna will have a post-operative appointment in 1-2 weeks after the Labia Majora Reconstruction (post improper silicone injection) or as appropriate. Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions or concerns.