Post-Operative Care Instructions for Cosmetic Gynecology Surgery
1. Post-operative processes for Cosmetic Gynecology Surgery
1.1) For all kinds of Cosmetic Gynecology Surgery
- After Cosmetic Gynecology Surgery, you may experience dizziness caused by the Intravenous (IV) Sedation or the General Anesthesia, so you should take a rest until recovery.
- After the surgery, you will be monitored for 1-2 hours at recovery room. When you are conscious with no abnormal bleeding, you can have urination by yourself, and you are asked to well review post-operative care instructions, Dr. Vitasna will allow you to return home.
1.2) For all kinds of Cosmetic Vaginal Surgery
- Dr. Vitasna may suggest some of you to stay overnight at the hospital. After the surgery, you will be monitored for 1-2 hours at recovery room. When you are conscious, Dr. Vitasna will allow you to continue being monitored in the Inpatient Building, where you will get an antibiotic, an anti-inflammatory, an acetaminophen, and a laxative, as prescribed by Dr. Vitasna. If the acetaminophen tablet does not work, you will get the analgesic injection for pain relief.
- Urinary frequency or difficulty in urination may be noted due to the tension of the peri-vaginal opening muscle. As a result, you may be catheterized to avoid the urinary retention, which may be the cause of cystitis especially in the first 1-2 days after the surgery. Then, when the tension disappears, you will be able to have urination by yourself.
- In a few days after the surgery, you may experience an urge to pass stool (straining) and a sense of incomplete emptying even after the enema before surgery. This is caused by the sutured posterior vaginal wall between rectum and vagina. Taking a rest is recommended to reduce this symptom. Laxative will be given to prevent constipation.
- Within the first 2-3 days after the surgery, Dr. Vitasna will ensure that no abnormal bleeding occurs, and you can have urination by yourself after the catheter removal, as well as you are also asked to review post-operative care instructions. Then Dr. Vitasna will allow you to return home.
2. Cold packs & water contact for Cosmetic Gynecology Surgery
2.1) For all kinds of Labiaplasty Surgery
- Within the first 24-48 hours after the Labiaplasty surgery, applying a cold pack (s) to the general surgical site to decrease swelling is possible. A cold pack with ice in a plastic bag is not recommended, because the moisture and steam from the plastic bag may potentially cause infection.
- Within the first 2-3 days after the Labiaplasty surgery, you should take a rest (refrain from work) and be still to enable the wound to heal faster, and have little movement as possible to avoid wound disruption. You should not take a shower, which may potentially cause infection (perhaps rub the body dry). Clean the wound with antiseptic daily in the morning and before bedtime, then using a warm dryer for 10-15 minutes around the surgical wound to keep the area dry.
- After 2-3 days of the Labiaplasty surgery, you are allowed to take a shower, you should clean the surgical wound and the perineum area with soap daily, when you are taking a shower in the morning and before bedtime. You should clean the wound with antiseptic daily after you took a shower in the morning and before bedtime, then using a warm dryer for 10-15 minutes around the surgical wound to keep the area dry for 1-2 weeks after the surgery.
2.2) For all kinds of Cosmetic Gynecology Surgery
- Cleaning he surgical wound and the perineum area after urinary excretion may be done with sanitary wipes (Do not use tap water, because we want the surgical area as dry as is most beneficial), and after fecal excretion done using water and toweling gently for 2 weeks after the surgery. You should try to avoid moisture around the surgical wound to keep the area dry to let it heal faster.
3. Post-operative care instructions at home for Cosmetic Gynecology Surgery
- You must take an antibiotic, an anti-inflammatory drug, an acetaminophen, and a laxative drug (for all kinds of Cosmetic Vaginal Surgery), especially the antibiotics, which should be wholly completed.
- Within the first 1-3 days after the surgery, you should take a rest (refrain from work) and be still to enable the wound to heal faster, and have little movement as possible to avoid wound disruption for 1 week after the surgery.
- You may have all kinds of food, with the exceptions of alcoholic drinks and smoking for about 2 weeks after the surgery.
- You may have itching or curd like discharge as a result of vaginal fungal infection, possibly following taking post-operative antibiotic to avoid infection, and needing oral anti-fungal medication or suppository.
- Recoveries vary, within the first 1-2 days after the surgery, you can have movement and walk around. However, you should refrain from work and other daily activities within the first 1-3 days after the surgery.
- Within the first 2 weeks after the surgery, tissues are beginning to produce and form new blood capillaries, and the surgical wound are expected to start healing. You may start your daily activities gradually.
- After the first 2 weeks to 4 weeks after the surgery, the surgical wound does not heal well, and energy-consuming physical activities should be limited. You may start your daily activities gradually and avoid heavy activities.
- After 4 weeks of the surgery, you may do your usual activities. Lifting with light weights and taking relaxing exercise are permitted. However, you should refrain from energy-consuming activities, running, soaking in the bathtub, swimming, heavy lifting, cycling, other heavy activities, and sexual intercourse for at least 6-8 weeks after the surgery.
4. Suture removal for Cosmetic Gynecology Surgery
- For all kinds of Cosmetic Gynecology Surgeries, the material used is the suture which dissolves slowly (within 4- 6 weeks). However, for some women, the suture takes longer than 6 weeks to completely dissolve, consequently irritation. For the women with itching caused by the dissolving sutures and the process of healing, they will be prescribed antihistamine to control the itching.
5. Appointment for Cosmetic Gynecology Surgery
- For all kinds of the Cosmetic Gynecology Surgery Dr. Vitasna usually requires you to come for a checkup within 1-2 weeks after the surgery. Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions or concerns.