Perineoplasty is a surgical procedure capable of restoring torn perineum muscles (the visible area located between the rectum and the vagina). If these muscles are torn, the vaginal opening becomes much wider than normal.
Most commonly, perineum damage results from episiotomies (surgical incisions made to help deliver a baby) and tearing during childbirth. However, perineum tearing may be caused by trauma or sexual intercourse. Perinealplasty is a surgical procedure for the perineum wrinkles may be caused by the above-mentioned phenomena.
Recently, Laser has been applicable to the Perineoplasty/Perinealplasty. Benefits of perineoplasty/Perinealplasty by laser include; more precision and accuracy as a result of the surgical wound control, less blood loss, less risk of vessel and tissue damage, and quicker recovery time, thus bringing about better results than using the old conventional scalpel procedure.
Perineum and Vagina
General Notes & Precautions
1) Important points to consider about the Perineoplasty/Perinealplasty
- The Perineoplasty/Perinealplasty does not go deep into the vagina but intends to repair the damage of childbirth or tearing right at the opening of the vagina (the depth of not over 5 centimeters).
- It aims to make this region appear normal by excising excess skin, loose skin tags, and suturing the underlying muscles or the perineal body closer together to give a more snug feeling in the introitus or vaginal opening. Mostly, the perineoplasty is performed together with the posterior vaginal repair.
- Like any other surgeries, the Perineoplasty/Perinealplasty has limitations and cannot absolutely ensure satisfactory results, because there are so many factors affecting the surgery’s success. In case of unexpected surgical results or complications, corrective surgery is an option, and will be discussed between you and the surgeon. If correction surgery wound occurs from the complication of the surgery, all expenses for services and treatment will no longer be charged to you. However, if the unsatisfactory results occur due to the complication from your non-compliance with the doctor’s orders, you will be charged accordingly.
- The Perineoplasty/Perinealplasty is not allowed for women with immunodeficiency. In addition, the procedure is not recommended unless you have a discussion with your spouse as this may lead to problems, and misunderstandings caused by refraining from sexual intercourse for quite a long time.
- The Perineoplasty/Perinealplasty is performed in our operating room for approximately 1 hour under Intravenous (IV) Sedation and Local Anesthesia. You have to refrain from drinking water or food for at least 6 hours prior to the procedure in order to decrease the risk of aspirating gastric contents during or after the surgery. This complication is very serious, and you need to strictly follow our recommendations. Within the day of the appointment, you should not drive yourself after the surgery in order to protect against any accidents caused by dizziness as a result of the sedation.
- You should take a rest (refrain from work) and be still for at least 2-3 days after the surgery to enable the wound to heal faster. You should have little movement as possible to avoid wound disruption for 1 week after the surgery. You should refrain from some types of exercise affecting pelvic muscle movement and sexual intercourse for at least 6-8 weeks after the surgery.
- The rate of post-surgical complications is low especially when laser is utilized by an experienced surgeon, and you carefully and religiously follow our post-op policies. In the unlikely event of a post-op complication, you should immediately see Dr. Vitasna for early examination and treatment and prevent worsening of the complication.
2) Before the Perineoplasty/Perinealplasty
- Prior to the Perineoplasty/Perinealplasty, you will be invited to a pre-operative consultation room, where you will be evaluated for surgery. You will be received by a member of the nursing staff in our Center, who will make inquiries regarding your previous medical history as well as arrange for your vital signs such as temperature, respiration, blood pressure, and pulse. In case of existing diseases or drug allergies, please inform the medical staff before the consultation. You should prepare and take with you any pills or treatment medications, you are currently taking.
- You can possibly have the Perineoplasty/Perinealplasty done on the day of your consultation depending on the availability of Dr. Vitasna’s schedule. Otherwise, you may book for a possible surgery on the day of your consultation. This you may do through online pre-consultation and arrangement. It is best to undergo the surgery after your period. It is not advisable to do the surgery just before the period starts or during the period.
- A staff nurse will usher you to a treatment room, where Dr. Vitasna will investigate your health history, and conduct both a general check-up and internal check-up. In case you have vaginal fungal or bacterial infection, you should completely treat it before the surgery to avoid wound infection after the surgery.
- After the examination and assessment, you will discuss with Dr. Vitasna about your expectations and concerns. She will then explain to you about the methods (or techniques), processes of the Perineoplasty/Perinealplasty, some potential post-operative risks and complications prior to decision-making. You may also be asked if you have any allergies or any condition that wouldn’t make you a good candidate for the surgery as well as other additional inquiries.
- After you have chosen the best alternative for your case, prices and quotes will be written down with you. —This ends your consultation.
3) The cost of the Perineoplasty/Perinealplasty
The cost of the Perineoplasty/Perinealplasty will include professional fees for the anesthesiologist and the surgeon, all the instruments, home medications, and medicines used for the surgery as well. Fees for laboratory work-up for other existing diseases that you may have, and the professional fees for the anesthesiologist and the surgeon for corrective surgery are not included in the package.