Labiaplasty: Labia Minora Reduction
Labiaplasty: Labia Minora Reduction–Many women are born with enlarged Labia Minora which make them feel uncomfortable with physical daily activities. The enlarged Labia Minora also embarrasses them during sexual activity. Labiaplasty can alleviate your emotional and physical discomfort.
The appearance of the Labia Minora changes due to aging, trauma, or childbirth. Many younger and older women have Labia Minora (inner lips) that are too large and unsightly. Unilateral or bilaterally enlarged Labia Minora can occur before or after childbearing, and can cause the following problems in a woman’s life:
- Pain from Labia Minora rubbing up against panties and jeans. Labia Minora causing unsightly bulge visible when wearing bathing suit and accidentally hanging out of bathing suit leading to embarrassment.
- Elongated Labia Minora causing deviation of urinary stream with urine not directly entering toilet but soiling buttocks and legs.
- Elongated Labia Minora interferes during sexual intercourse due to being pulled and dragged into the vagina leading to unnecessary discomfort and embarrassment.
- You can choose exactly how they want your Labia Minora to look after the surgery. Dr. Vitasna has developed her own technique called V-technique (Vitasna technique), a modified wedge/modified edge resection of the hypertrophied tissues of the Labia Minora (by careful, refined, wedge linear resection) to make the edges of the labia look more natural and smooth.
General Notes & Precautions
1) Important points to consider about the Labia Minora Reduction
- This surgery is one of many Cosmetic Gynecology Surgeries done mainly to improve the appearance of the Labia Minora by enhancing or improving the appearance of the Labia Minora and reducing or resolving symptoms of discomfort and irritation from the enlargement of the Labia Minora.
- This surgery is not allowed for women with immunodeficiency. In addition, this surgery is not recommended unless you have a discussion with your spouse because this may lead to problems, and misunderstandings caused by refraining from sexual intercourse for quite a time.
- This surgery has limitations and cannot absolutely ensure satisfactory results, because there are so many factors affecting the surgery’s success. In case of unexpected surgical results or complications, corrective surgery is an option, and will be discussed between you and the surgeon. If correction surgery happens due to the complication of the surgery, all expenses for services and treatment will no longer be charged to you. However, if the unsatisfactory results occur due to the complication from your non-compliance with the doctor’s orders, you will be charged accordingly.
- This surgery is one of the most complex and meticulous cosmetic surgeries performed today. It requires extensive experience, precision and accuracy to create the optimal results you desire and deserve. Many surgeons have little to no experience with this type of advanced Cosmetic Surgery. You should research and be conscious of the surgeon’s educational background, training, and practical experience.
- The important preparations you should know before the surgery are that within 2-3 days after the surgery, you should take a rest (refrain from work) and be still to enable the wound to heal faster. You should have little movement as possible to avoid wound disruption for 1 week after the surgery. You should also refrain from some types of strenuous exercise and sexual intercourse for at least 6-8 weeks after the surgery.
- This surgery is performed in our operating room for approximately 1-2 hours under General Anesthesia or Intravenous (IV) Sedation and Local Anesthesia. You have to refrain from drinking water or food for at least 6 hours prior to the surgery in order to decrease the risk of aspirating gastric contents during or after the surgery. This complication is very serious, and you need to strictly follow our recommendations.
Read more about the related issues of the Labia Minora Reduction/Plasty
2) Before the Labia Minora Reduction
- You will be invited to a pre-operative consultation room, where you will be evaluated for surgery. You will be received by a member of the nursing staff in our Center, who will make inquiries regarding your previous medical history as well as arrange for your vital signs such as temperature, respiration, blood pressure and pulse. In case of existing diseases or drug allergies, please inform the medical staff before the consultation. You should prepare and take with you any pills or treatment medications, you are currently taking.
- You can possibly have the surgery done on the day of your consultation depending on the availability of Dr. Vitasna’s schedule. Otherwise, you may book for a possible surgery on the day of your consultation. This you may do through online pre-consultation and arrangement. It is best to undergo the surgery after your period. It is not advisable to do the surgery just before the period starts or during the period.
- A staff nurse will usher you to a treatment room, where Dr. Vitasna will investigate your health history, and conduct both a general check-up and internal check-up. In case you have vaginal fungal or bacterial infection, you should completely treat it before the surgery to avoid wound infection after the surgery.
- After the examination and assessment, you will discuss with Dr. Vitasna about your expectations and concerns. She will then explain to you about the Labiaplasty techniques, processes of the surgery, some potential post-operative risks and complications prior to decision-making. You may also be asked if you have any allergies or any condition that wouldn’t make you a good candidate for the surgery as well as other additional inquiries.
- After you have chosen the best alternative for your case, prices and quotes will be written down with you. —This ends your consultation
3) The cost of the Labia Minora Reduction
The cost of the surgery will include professional fees for the anesthesiologist and the surgeon, all the instruments, home medications and medicines used for the surgery as well. Fees for laboratory work-up for other existing diseases that you may have, and the professional fees for the anesthesiologist and the surgeon for corrective surgery are not included in the package.
The Processes of the Labia Minora Reduction
1) On an appointment day you plan to have the Labia Minora Reduction
- You have to refrain from drinking water or food for at least 6 hours prior to the surgery. In addition, it is advisable to have a bath or perhaps a shower before you come into the hospital. You may need to bring along with you loosely fitting daytime clothing, personal hygiene stuff, loose fitting underwear, and sanitary pads.
- Before you go through the pre- operative processes, if you have more questions you will meet Dr. Vitasna for any additional information. In case of uncertainty, doubt and worry, or for being uncomfortable for any reason, you should postpone the surgery.
- If you are a good candidate for the surgery, our medical staff will assess your vital signs, help you sign, and review the proper consent forms, which give us permission to perform surgery on you. Then a staff nurse will review the post-operative care instructions, which you need to do after the surgery, and will guide you through the process of payment.–After that a member of staff will accompany you to the Inpatient Building.
- As you arrive in the Inpatient Building, a staff nurse is going to check your information (name, birth date), show you your bed, assist you to change into a gown, and provide you with an identity wristband. She will assess your vital signs as well as arrange for some medical tests, i.e. blood tests (CBC and Anti- HIV), ECG, and probably a chest X- Ray.
- You will be directed to the anesthesiologist, who will administer the anesthesia during the surgery. Please tell him/her about your allergies to medications, your medical history, dental treatments, previous surgery (s) you have had, and any family history with anesthesia problems.
- If you are wearing nail polish or makeup, you may be asked to remove it. Contact lenses are to be removed as well as glasses and dentures. Jewelries are also to be taken out. Should you be unable to remove some piece of jewelry, a protective tape will be placed over it.
- After all these have been done, a staff member will accompany you to the operating theater, and will hand you over the care of the anesthetic team. A staff nurse is going to check your information (name, birth date) and your vital signs. —Once everything is complete and in order, a nurse will take you to one of the operating rooms.
2) During the Labia Minora Reduction Surgery
The Female Structures of the Vulva
- While you are sleeping, Dr. Vitasna will apply Local Anesthesia on the area. Then Dr. Vitasna will perform the surgery using her own technique by trimming away excessive skin.
- Afterwards, she will close the wound edges with absorbable sutures. Using small dissolving sutures results in a smoother wound compared to using large ones. It also helps decrease surgical scars due to less pressure of the small ones compared to that of the large ones. Dr. Vitasna will use a special technique (utilizing fewer sutures) to surgical produce a smoother wound. A Foley catheter may be inserted to avoid the retention of urine especially within 1-2 days after the surgery.
Recently, laser has been applicable to the Labia Minora Reduction surgery. Benefits include more precision and accuracy as a result of surgical wound control, less blood loss, less risk of vessel and lower tissue damage, and quicker recovery time; thus bringing about better results than using the old conventional scalpel procedure.