Risks and Complications of the Hymenoplasty
1) Post-operative pain after the Hymenoplasty
- Pain at/or around the surgical wound may be felt as soon as the anesthetic wears off, which is relieved by pain medications prescribed (in the first 2-3 days). You should take a rest to monitor the symptoms and should refrain from working because it may cause bruising and severe pain. If you experience more intumesce and pain, please do not be hesitant to come to see Dr. Vitasna.
- Occasionally, you may experience itchiness, irritation or tension around the surgical wound, which will completely heal in 4-6 weeks.
2) Abnormal bleeding after the Hymenoplasty
- Because of the use of small dissolving suture this may lead to the risk of postoperative complication such as bleeding from the surgical wound, possibly caused by walking or other activities.
- After the surgery, abnormal bleeding which may lead to blood clot formation is very seldom noted and occurs with less than 1 % of the surgeries. Aspirin and other anti-coagulant drugs should be avoided at least 10-15 days before and after the scheduled surgery.
- If excessive bleeding from the surgical wound occurs after the surgery, all expenses for services and treatment for this post-surgical complication will no longer be charged to you. However, if the bleeding or other complications occur due to your non-compliance with the doctor’s orders, you will be charged accordingly.
3) Abnormal vaginal discharges after the Hymenoplasty
- For the Hymenoplasty with mini-Perineoplasty, green-yellowish discharge may be expected after the surgery, because the vagina is full of secretion fluid and various kinds of bacteria. This can cause reaction to the surgical wound and sutures. Complete absorption of the sutures will usually occur within 6-8 weeks. Green-yellowish discharge may also persist during this time.
- After the surgery, you may have abnormal vaginal discharge or curd like discharge as a result of vaginal fungi, possibly following taking antibiotic to avoid postoperative infection, and needing oral anti-fungal medication or suppository.
4) Inflammation or infection after the Hymenoplasty
- After the surgery, inflammation or infection of the wound may occur because the surgical wound is in the vaginal opening area constantly be prone to contamination with the fluid from the vaginal tract, the urinary tract, and the alimentary (fecal) tract.
- Inflammation or infection after the surgery may happen to any women who fail to follow the instructions, follow the instructions incorrectly, or have existing diseases such as diabetes, or have vaginal infection before the surgery.
- Inflammation or infection after the surgery may cause complications such as wound deformation, suture mark (scar), or wound disruption leading to abnormal bleeding from surgical wound.
5) Unsatisfactory results after the Hymenoplasty
- This surgery may result in incomplete restoration of the hymen ring depending on the woman’s former hymen structure. Since the hymen tissues are very thin, sometimes it is not possible to completely fix the hymen ring, which the surgery requires Perineoplasty to obtain a more satisfactory Hymenoplasty result. Perineoplasty helps decrease the wound tension to the thin hymen.
- This surgery has limitations and cannot absolutely ensure results and satisfaction, because there are many other factors influencing the surgical result and satisfaction. In case of unsatisfactory results, correction surgery may be performed as appropriate and possible. In this respect, you and the physician should come to discuss for the solution together.
- If correction surgery wound occurs from the complication of the surgery, all expenses for services and treatment will no longer be charged to you. However, if the unsatisfactory results occur due to the complication from your non-compliance with the doctor’s orders, you will be charged accordingly.
Check-up: Dr. Vitasna usually requires you to come for a follow up check-up 1-2 weeks after the Hymenoplasty. Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions or concerns.