Checking Your Vaginal Looseness
THE BEAUTY BIBLE | Appeal Magazine | JUNE 2013
How to rejuvenate your vagina to hide your age?
By Dr. Vitasna Ketglang
- Head of Cosmetic Gynecology Center of Yanhee International Hospital
- Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery
- Chairman, Thai Cosmetic Gynecology Society
How to rejuvenate your vagina to hide your age? Vaginal tightening is a subject which older women should not overlook. How can the vagina be tightened safely, and which procedure is appropriate for each individual?—There are two ways in which the vaginal muscles are tightened: through surgery and without surgery.
1) Without Surgery:
1.1) Kegel Exercise
- Kegel Exercise or squeezing the vaginal muscles: this is the easiest way for patients. The procedure is to squeeze the vaginal muscles and hold for 10 seconds and relax. Then repeat.
- In fact, vaginal exercise can be done in many ways. One example is to squeeze the vagina 100 times in the morning and 100 times in the evening. The principle is just to exercise the vaginal muscles.
- Advantage: Safe, no cost, and the patient can do it by herself.
- Disadvantage: Some patients do not know the correct procedure, so the effect will not be effective and satisfactory. It takes 3-6 months to be noticed.
1.2) Incisionless Vaginal Tightening
- This is a new innovation and has never been used for Cosmetic Gynecology Surgery. The Cosmetic Gynecology Center of Yanhee International Hospital is the first hospital in Thailand which has commenced the Laser Incisionless Vaginal tightening procedure.
- It is a process whereby laser energy is being delivered to the vaginal canal and introitus area, resulting in the treated vaginal tissues becoming tighter. There are 1-2 sessions in one course in between 2 to 4 weeks and it is effective for one year. Unlike undergoing the traditional procedure (by scalpel), this procedure does not hurt. However, the patient has to refrain from sexual intercourse for 2-4 weeks after procedure.
- Before the procedure, the tightness of the vagina will be measured using a medical vaginal measuring instrument. After 4-6 weeks, the vagina will be tightened and measured again and finally after 4 months.
- Laser Incisionless vaginal tightening has limitations. Tightening depends on the collagen anabolism around the vagina and the response of the tissues to the laser treatment to create collagen.
- Laser Incisionless vaginal tightening can resolve stress urinary incontinence; a problem when a woman passes urine when coughing or sneezing. This procedure also has limitations, this procedure may be done to patients, who do not have severe stress urinary incontinence. This procedure may be done to the patients, who cannot undergo the surgical treatment through Incontinence Sling (TVT-O).
- Advantage: Elderly women may undergo this procedure, as can the overweight, diabetic patients, and those who have limitations for surgery.
- Disadvantage: This procedure has limitations. It is only suitable for patients, who have not much vaginal looseness, and those who do not have severe stress urinary incontinence. It is not suitable for ladies, who have many children.
2) With Surgery
2.1) Traditional Surgery
- This is the common surgical procedure which uses scalpel and scissors for surgery. This is a standard procedure, whereby an incision is made and Polydioxanone (PDO) is used to stitch the wound in the vagina.
- The patient has to plan for daily activities for at least 2-3 days after surgery. Patients, who travel abroad, should be careful for at least 1 week, as the wound may be torn and bleed.
- After the surgery, the patient has to refrain from sexual intercourse, and avoid strenuous activities that would cause wound tearing. Constipation, coughing, sneezing, carrying heavy objects, and sports activities should be avoided for at least 6 weeks.
- Advantage: Appropriate pricing suitable for patients with the limited amount of resources they had.
- Disadvantage: This procedure takes longer recovery period and has its limitations in patients who have conditions wherein surgery is contraindicated like existing disease, etc.
2.2) Laser surgery
- This is similar to traditional surgery; but uses laser instead of the scalpel for cutting. The surgery is more precise and accurate, decreases the possibility of bleeding, and achieves minimal damage to tissues and blood vessels.
- The recovery is faster with reduced complications. Polydioxanone (PDO) is used to stitch the incision in the vagina.
- Advantage: Decreased risk for bleeding, precised and controlled accuracy in cutting, and faster recovery. Recovery time for Laser surgery may be shorter than the traditional scalpel surgery.
- Disadvantage: Recovery time is longer than Incisionless Vaginal Tightening.
The procedure is not recommended for couples who do not have any problem with sexual intercourse. It is more aimed for patients; who feel loose during sexual intercourse, experience gas like sounds during intercourse; partner does not feel satisfied during intercourse, and difficulty in orgasm. The patient can choose to undergo surgery and consult with a specialist.