Vaginoplasty/Posterior Vaginal Repair 1
The Vaginoplasty/Vaginal Rejuvenation/Vaginal Tightening or Posterior Vaginal Repair is a surgical procedure performed to fix Vaginal Relaxation. Women with vaginal relaxation often complain they no longer feel the same amount of friction during intercourse. They will often describe vaginal looseness as a decrease in a woman’s ability to attain vaginal orgasms.
The main component of the lack of friction is the relaxation of the posterior inner vaginal wall. This is usually a component of relaxation at the vaginal opening. The cause of vaginal wall relaxation is a weakening of the pelvic support structures and thinning of the recto-vaginal septum in the posterior vaginal wall as figure 1.
The underlying causes of thinning of the Recto-Vaginal Septum are:
- Multiple or prolonged deliveries.
- The use of forceps, vacuum or other assisted methods of delivery.
- A history of constipation and straining with bowel movements.
- Perineum tears or an episiotomy into the rectum or anal sphincter muscles.
- Aging, occasionally likely in younger women or in those that have not delivered children.
- This problem may be preceded by hysterectomy because it is involved in damaging different structures supporting pelvic organs and ligaments and tissues around cervix supporting the anterior and posterior vaginal wall.
Symptoms of Posterior Vaginal Wall Prolapse:
- Rectal pressure
- Pain in the lower back
- Flatulence incontinence
- Rectal pain and vaginal bulge
- Failure to completely empty the bowel
There are 4 methods of correcting relaxation of the vagina:
- 1) The Kegel Exercise is safe but would have to take 6 months until results would show, and does not guarantee full effectiveness.
- 2) The Incisionless Laser Vaginal Tightening is a new trend of innovation to the Cosmetic Gynecology for mild to moderate vaginal relaxation; this surgery has limitations and cannot guarantee the results and satisfaction.
- 3) The Vaginoplasty or Posterior Vaginal Repair is the surgery to narrow the diameter of the vagina which results to a smaller and tighter vaginal canal and opening. However, this surgery also has its limitations to the women with multiple deliveries.
- 4) The Anterior and Posterior Vaginal Repair (A-P Vaginal Repair) is the surgical repair of pelvic prolapse by entailing the surgical removal of the excessive anterior and posterior vaginal tissues as well as bladder and rectum prolapse, thereby correcting the pelvic organ prolapse, at the same time tightening the vagina.
Recently, Laser has been applicable to the Vaginoplasty/Posterior Vaginal Repair. Benefits of Laser Vaginal Rejuvenation include: More precision and accuracy as a result of the surgical wound control, less blood loss, less risk of vessel and tissue damage, and quicker recovery time, thus bringing about better results than using the old conventional scalpel surgery.
Figure 1: Thinning Posterior Vaginal Wall
between Rectum and Vagina
Vaginoplasty/Posterior Vaginal Repair is one of the most complex and meticulous cosmetic surgeries performed today. It requires extensive experience, precision, and accuracy to create the optimal results you desire and deserve. Many surgeons have little to no experience with this type of advanced cosmetic surgery. You should research and be conscious of the surgeon’s educational background, training, and practical experience.