Tension Free Vaginal Tape Obturator (TVT-O) 1
Many women around the world are affected with Urinary Incontinence. Coughing, sneezing, laughing, exercise or heavy lifting is often accompanied by involuntary leakage of urine (Urinary Stress Incontinence).
It is commonly associated with aging but can also affect women of all ages. However, it is important to know that these are common treatable conditions and you don’t have to live with it. There are many treatment options that can help you gain control over this condition. With proper medical care and treatment, you can regain your quality of life.
There are 2 methods of correcting urinary stress incontinence:
1) Non-surgical methods
- Vaginal Pessary. A therapeutic pessary is a medical device much like the outer ring of a diaphragm. Therapeutic pessaries are utilized to support the uterus, vagina, bladder, or rectum.
- The Kegel Exercise is safe but would have to take 6 months until results would show, and does not guarantee full recovery.
- Incisionless Laser Correction. This new innovation has been recently introduced to Urogynecology and is now becoming a trend. This method is suitable for women with mild to moderate level of symptoms or for those with existing diseases that cannot be treated by TVT-O surgery.
2) Surgical methods
Urinary incontinence surgery is normally advised only when more conservative measures are not helping. Urinary incontinence surgery is a bit more invasive and carries a higher risk of complications compared to other treatments; however, it may also provide a long term solution in severe cases. Before you decide on urinary incontinence strategy, get an exact diagnosis. Several types of incontinence call for different surgical procedure.
- Urethral or Bladder Neck Injection by Filler to avoid the premature opening of the urethra.
- Burch Colposuspension is the surgery of suturing the paravaginal tissues (near urethra) to periosteum of pubic bone.
- A-P Vaginal Repair can temporarily treat the Stress urinary incontinence. You are likely to experience the symptoms again in 5 years after the surgery.
- TVT-O (Tension Free Vaginal Tape Obturator) or Single Incision Sling (MiniArc Sling) is a minimally invasive procedure with an 85% – 90% success rate in treating Stress Urinary Incontinence.
General Notes & Precautions
1) Important points to consider about TVT-O (Tension Free Vaginal Tape Obturator)
- The TVT-O (Tension Free Vaginal Tape Obturator) is the newest and safest technique or surgical procedure for the treatment of Urinary Stress Incontinence. It is an innovative, minimally invasive procedure with an 85% – 90% success rate in treating Stress Urinary Incontinence.
- The TVT-O (Tension Free Vaginal Tape Obturator) has limitations and cannot absolutely ensure satisfactory results because there are so many factors affecting the surgery’s success, especially for women with Mixed Urinary Incontinence (those with overactive bladder). She needs continuous medications after TVT-O (Tension Free Vaginal Tape Obturator) .
- After the TVT-O (Tension Free Vaginal Tape Obturator), some of you may experience increase in urinary frequency, slow urinary flow and/or longer time of urination (compared with that before the surgery).
- In case of unexpected surgical results or complications, corrective surgery is an option and will be discussed between you and the surgeon. If the correction surgery wound occurs from a complication of the surgery, all expenses for services and treatment will no longer be charged to you. However, if the unsatisfactory results occur due to the complication from your non-compliance with the doctor’s orders, you will be charged accordingly.
- The TVT-O (Tension Free Vaginal Tape Obturator) is not allowed for women with immunodeficiency. In addition, the procedure is not recommended unless you have a discussion with your spouse because this may lead to problems and misunderstandings caused by refraining from sexual intercourse for quite a time.
- The TVT-O (Tension Free Vaginal Tape Obturator) is performed in our operating room for approximately 1 hour under General Anesthesia administered by a board-certified anesthesiologist. You have to refrain from drinking water or food for at least 6 hours prior to the procedure in order to decrease the risk of aspirating gastric contents during or after surgery. This complication is very serious, and you need to strictly follow our recommendations.
- The most important preparations you should know before the TVT-O (Tension Free Vaginal Tape Obturator) are that you should take a rest (refrain from work) and be still for 2-3 days after the surgery to enable the wound to heal faster, and have little movement as possible to avoid wound disruption for 1 week after the surgery. You should refrain from some types of exercise affecting pelvic muscle movement, and sexual intercourse for 6 weeks after the surgery.
- The TVT-O (Tension Free Vaginal Tape Obturator) is one of the most complex and meticulous cosmetic procedures performed today. It requires extensive experience, precision, and accuracy to create the optimal results you desire and deserve. Many surgeons have little to no experience with this type of advanced cosmetic procedure. You should research and be conscious of the surgeon’s educational background, training, and practical experience.