Tension Free Vaginal Tape Obturator (TVT-O) 1
Many women around the world are affected with Urinary Incontinence. Coughing, sneezing, laughing, exercise or heavy lifting is often accompanied by involuntary leakage of urine (Urinary Stress Incontinence).
It is commonly associated with aging but can also affect women of all ages. However, it is important to know that these are common treatable conditions and you don’t have to live with it. There are many treatment options that can help you gain control over this condition. With proper medical care and treatment, you can regain your quality of life.
There are 2 methods of correcting urinary stress incontinence:
1) Non-surgical methods
- Vaginal Pessary. A therapeutic pessary is a medical device much like the outer ring of a diaphragm. Therapeutic pessaries are utilized to support the uterus, vagina, bladder, or rectum.
- The Kegel Exercise is safe but would have to take 6 months until results would show, and does not guarantee full recovery.
- Incisionless Laser Correction. This new innovation has been recently introduced to Urogynecology and is now becoming a trend. This method is suitable for women with mild to moderate level of symptoms or for those with existing diseases that cannot be treated by TVT-O surgery.
2) Surgical methods
Urinary incontinence surgery is normally advised only when more conservative measures are not helping. Urinary incontinence surgery is a bit more invasive and carries a higher risk of complications compared to other treatments; however, it may also provide a long term solution in severe cases. Before you decide on urinary incontinence strategy, get an exact diagnosis. Several types of incontinence call for different surgical procedure.
- Urethral or Bladder Neck Injection by Filler to avoid the premature opening of the urethra.
- Burch Colposuspension is the surgery of suturing the paravaginal tissues (near urethra) to periosteum of pubic bone.
- A-P Vaginal Repair can temporarily treat the Stress urinary incontinence. You are likely to experience the symptoms again in 5 years after the surgery.
- TVT-O (Tension Free Vaginal Tape Obturator) or Single Incision Sling (MiniArc Sling) is a minimally invasive procedure with an 85% – 90% success rate in treating Stress Urinary Incontinence.
Urethra is well supported,
consequently without urine leakage.
Urethra is not supported,
consequently urine leakage.
General Notes & Precautions
1) Important points to consider about TVT-O (Tension Free Vaginal Tape Obturator)
- The TVT-O (Tension Free Vaginal Tape Obturator) is the newest and safest technique or surgical procedure for the treatment of Urinary Stress Incontinence. It is an innovative, minimally invasive procedure with an 85% – 90% success rate in treating Stress Urinary Incontinence.
- The TVT-O (Tension Free Vaginal Tape Obturator) has limitations and cannot absolutely ensure satisfactory results because there are so many factors affecting the surgery’s success, especially for women with Mixed Urinary Incontinence (those with overactive bladder). She needs continuous medications after TVT-O (Tension Free Vaginal Tape Obturator) .
- After the TVT-O (Tension Free Vaginal Tape Obturator), some of you may experience increase in urinary frequency, slow urinary flow and/or longer time of urination (compared with that before the surgery).