Risks, Side Effects and Complications of the Suprapupic Uterine Suspension
1) Dizziness after the Suprapupic Uterine Suspension
- Nausea and vomiting may be experienced, as a side effect of the General Anesthesia, which is noted to be relieved as soon as its effect wears off.
2) Post-operative pain after the Suprapupic Uterine Suspension
- Pain at/or around the surgical wound may be felt as soon as the anesthetic wears off, but which is relieved by pain medications prescribed. Occasionally, you may experience itchiness, irritation, or tension around the surgical wound, which will completely heal in one week.
- You should take a rest to be monitored and refrain from working as it may cause bruising and severe pain. Should you have more intumesce and pain, please do not be hesitant to come to see Dr. Vitasna.
3) Abnormal bleeding after the Suprapupic Uterine Suspension
- Abnormal bleeding which may lead to blood clot formation is very seldom noted and occurs in 1 out of 100 surgeries. In this connection Aspirin and other anti-coagulant drugs should be avoided at least 10 days before and after the scheduled surgery.
- If excessive bleeding from the surgical wound occurs after the Suprapubic Uterine Suspension, all expenses for services and treatment for this post-surgical complication will no longer be charged to you. However, if the bleeding or other complications occur due to your non-compliance with the doctor’s orders, you will be charged accordingly.
4) Inflammation or infection after the Suprapupic Uterine Suspension
- Infection after the Suprapubic Uterine Suspension may happen to any women who fail to follow the instructions, follow the instructions incorrectly, or have existing diseases before the surgery. Inflammation or infection of the wound may cause complications such as rough wound edge, wound deformation, suture mark (scar), or wound disruption leading to abnormal bleeding from surgical wound.
- Mostly the infection after the Suprapubic Uterine Suspension may happen to any women who fail to follow the instructions, follow the instructions incorrectly, have existing diseases such as diabetes, or have vaginal infection before the surgery.
- After the Suprapubic Uterine Suspension, you may experience abnormal vaginal discharge, a green-yellowish discharge, itching, or curd like discharge as a result of vaginal fungi, possibly following taking antibiotic to avoid postoperative infection. In case of vaginal fungal infection, you have to take additional medications.
5) Unsatisfactory results after the Suprapupic Uterine Suspension
- The Suprapubic Uterine Suspension has limitations and cannot absolutely ensure results and satisfaction because there are many other factors influencing the surgical result and satisfaction.
- In case of unsatisfactory results, correction surgery may be performed as appropriate and possible. In this respect, you and the physician should come to discuss for the solution together.
- If correction surgery wound occurs from the complication of the Suprapubic Uterine Suspension, all expenses for services and treatment will no longer be charged to you. However, if the unsatisfactory results occur due to the complication from your non-compliance with the doctor’s orders, you will be charged accordingly.
Check-up: Dr. Vitasna usually requires you to come for a follow up check-up 1-2 weeks after the surgery. Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions or concerns.