Risks, Side Effects and Complications of the Perineoplasty/Perinealplasty
1) Dizziness after the Perineoplasty/Perinealplasty
- Nausea and vomiting in 1-2 days after the Perineoplasty/Perinealplasty may be experienced, as a side effect of the Sedation Anesthesia or the General Anesthesia, which is noted to be relieved as soon as its effect wears off.
2) Post-operative pain after the Perineoplasty/Perinealplasty
- Pain at/or around the surgical wound may be felt as soon as the anesthetic wears off, which is relieved by pain medications prescribed.
- You should refrain from working for 2-3 days after the Perineoplasty/Perinealplasty because it may cause bruising, inflammation, and more pain. If the pain cannot be relieved by the pain medications, please do not hesitate to come to see Dr. Vitasna.
- A few days after the Perineoplasty/Perinealplasty, you may experience an urge to pass stool (straining) and a sense of incomplete emptying even after the enema before surgery. This is caused by the sutured posterior vaginal wall between rectum and vagina. Taking a rest is recommended to reduce this symptom. Laxatives will be given to prevent constipation.
3) Abnormal bleeding after the Perineoplasty/Perinealplasty
- The use of the small dissolving suture may lead to the risk of complications such as bleeding; possibly caused by walking or other activities. Abnormal bleeding, which may lead to blood clot formation, is very seldom noted and occurs in 1 out of 100 surgeries. In such instances Aspirin and other anti-coagulant drugs should be avoided at least 10 days before and after the scheduled surgery.
- If excessive bleeding from the surgical wound occurs after the Perineoplasty/Perinealplasty, all expenses for services and treatment for this post-surgical complication will no longer be charged to you. However, if the bleeding or other complications occur due to your non-compliance with the doctor’s orders, you will be charged accordingly.
4) Abnormal vaginal discharge after the Perineoplasty/Perinealplasty
- You may experience abnormal vaginal discharge; a green-yellowish discharge after the Perineoplasty/Perinealplasty, because the vagina is full of secretion fluid and various kinds of bacteria, causing reaction to the surgical wound and suture. In case of smelly vaginal discharge, you have to take additional medications.
- You may have itching or curd like discharge as a result of vaginal fungal infection, possibly following taking antibiotics to avoid postoperative infection, and needing oral anti-fungal medication or suppository.
5) Inflammation or infection after the Perineoplasty/Perinealplasty
- For the Perineoplasty/Perinealplasty; infection of the wound may occur because the surgical wound is in the vaginal opening area constantly be prone to being contaminated with the fluid from vaginal tract, urinary tract and alimentary (fecal) tract.
- Mostly, infection after the Perineoplasty/Perinealplasty may happen to any women who fail to follow the instructions, follow the instructions incorrectly, or have existing diseases such as diabetes or have vaginal infection before the surgery.
- Inflammation or infection after the Perineoplasty/Perinealplasty may cause complications such as rough wound edge, non-proportional Perineum (depending on the former woman’s anatomical structure), wound deformation, suture mark (scar), or wound disruption leading to abnormal bleeding from the surgical wound.
- During the inflammatory phase of healing, which last up to 2-4 weeks after the Perineoplasty/Perinealplasty, sloughing off of tissues or necrosis can be observed due to the retention of vaginal fluid in the surgical wound area. This should not be a cause of worry because it may happen in a process of healing of the surgical wound at the perineum area.
6) Leakage between vagina and neighboring organs after the Perineoplasty/Perinealplasty
- Leakage between bladder and vagina (or rectum and vagina) is theoretically considered a rare complication. In this respect, if you have some vaginal fluid with feces-like smell, please inform Dr. Vitasna immediately for prompt diagnosis and treatment of such symptom.
7) Unsatisfactory results after the Perineoplasty/Perinealplasty
- The Perineoplasty/Perinealplasty has limitations and cannot absolutely ensure results and satisfaction because there are many other factors influencing the surgical result and satisfaction. In case of unsatisfactory results, correction surgery may be performed as appropriate and possible. In this respect, you and the physician should come to discuss for the solution together.
- If correction surgery occurs from the complication of the Perineoplasty/Perinealplasty, all expenses for services and treatment will no longer be charged to you. However, if the unsatisfactory results occur due to the complication from your non-compliance with the doctor’s orders, you will be charged accordingly.
Check-up: Dr. Vitasna usually requires you to come for a follow up check-up 1-2 weeks after the surgery. Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions or concerns.