Risks, Side Effects and Complications of the Labia Minora Reduction
1) Dizziness after the Labia Minora Reduction
- Nausea and vomiting may be experienced, as a side effect of the Sedation Anesthesia or the General Anesthesia, which is noted to be relieved as soon as its effect wears off.
2) Post-operative pain after the Labia Minora Reduction
- Pain at/or around the surgical wound may be felt as soon as the anesthetic wears off, which is relieved by pain medications prescribed (in the first 2-3 days). Occasionally, you may experience itchiness, irritation, or tension around the surgical wound.
- You should take a rest to monitor the symptoms and should refrain from working hard as it may cause bruising and severe pain. If you experience more pain, please do not be hesitant to come to see Dr. Vitasna.
3) Abnormal bleeding after the Labia Minora Reduction
- Because of the use of small dissolving suture this may lead to the risk of post operative complication such as bleeding from the surgical wound, possibly caused by walking or other activities. Abnormal bleeding which may lead to blood clot formation is very seldom noted and occurs in 1 out of 100 surgeries. In this connection Aspirin and other anti-coagulant drugs should be avoided at least 10 days before and after the scheduled surgery.
- If excessive bleeding from the the wound occurs after the Labia Minora Reduction, all expenses for services and treatment for this post-surgical complication will no longer be charged to you. However, if the bleeding or other complications occur due to your non-compliance with the doctor’s orders, you will be charged accordingly.
4) Inflammation or infection after the Labia Minora Reduction
- After the Labia Minora Reduction, infection of the wound may occur because the surgical wound is in the vaginal opening area constantly being prone to contamination with fluid from the vaginal tract, the urinary tract and the alimentary (fecal) tract.
- Mostly the infection after the the Labia Minora Reduction may happen to any women who fail to follow the instructions, follow the instructions incorrectly, have existing diseases such as diabetes, or have vaginal infection before the surgery.
- Inflammation or infection after the Labia Minora Reduction may cause complications such as rough wound edge, non-proportional Labia Minora (depending on your anatomical structure), wound deformation, suture mark (scar), or wound disruption leading to abnormal bleeding from the Labia Minora Reduction wound.
- During the inflammatory phase of healing, which last up to 2-4 weeks after the Labia Minora Reduction, sloughing off of tissues or necrosis can be observed especially in the wedge or modified wedge techniques of the Labia Minoraplasty. This should not be a cause of worry because it may happen in a process of healing of the surgical wound in the vulvovulvar area.
- After the Labia Minora Reduction, you may have abnormal vaginal discharge or curd like discharge as a result of vaginal fungal infection, possibly following taking antibiotic to avoid post-operative infection, and needing oral anti-fungal medication or suppository.
5) Unsatisfactory results after the Labia Minora Reduction
- The Labia Minora Reduction has limitations and cannot absolutely ensure results and satisfaction. The surgery may result to incomplete symmetrical of the Labia Minora or non-proportional Labia Minora depending on your former anatomical structure of Labia Minora.
- There are many other factors influencing the surgical result and satisfaction. In case of unsatisfactory results or complications, correction surgery may be performed as appropriate and possible. In this respect, you and the physician should come to discuss for the solution together.
- If correction surgery wound occurs from the complication of the the Labia Minora Reduction, all expenses for services and treatment will no longer be charged to you. However, if the unsatisfactory results occur due to complications from your non-compliance with the doctor’s orders, you will be charged accordingly.
Check-up: Dr. Vitasna usually requires you to come for a follow up check-up 1-2 weeks after the surgery. Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions or concerns.