Post-Operative Care Instructions for Hymenoplasty
1. Post-operative processes after the Hymenoplasty
- You may experience dizziness caused by the Intravenous (IV) Sedation, so you should take a rest until recovery.
- After the Hymenoplasty, you will be monitored for 1-2 hours at recovery room. When you are conscious with no abnormal bleeding, you can urinate by yourself, and you are asked to review post-operative care instructions, Dr. Vitasna will allow you to return home.
- Dr. Vitasna may suggest some women to stay overnight at the hospital. A Foley catheter may be inserted to avoid the retention of urine especially in the first day after the surgery. You will be monitored for 1-2 hours at recovery room. When you are conscious, Dr. Vitasna will allow you to continue being monitored in the Inpatient Building.
- In the Inpatient Building you will get an antibiotic, an anti-inflammatory, an acetaminophen, and laxative, as prescribed by Dr. Vitasna. If the acetaminophen tablet does not work, you will be injected analgesic medicine for pain relief. You should take a rest to monitor and reduce pain and inflammation around the surgical wound.
- For the Hymenoplasty with mini-Perineoplasty, difficulty in urination may be noted due to the tension in the vaginal opening. You may experience an urge to pass stool (straining), and a sense of incomplete emptying, even after the enema before surgery. This is caused by the sutured posterior vaginal wall between rectum and vagina. Taking a rest is recommended to reduce this symptom. Laxatives will be given to prevent constipation.
- Within 1-2 days after the Hymenoplasty, Dr. Vitasna will ensure that 1) no abnormal bleeding from the surgical wound occurs and 2) you can urinate by yourself after the catheter removal, as well as 3) you are asked to review post-operative care instructions. Then Dr. Vitasna will allow you to return home.
2. Water contact & Post-operative care instructions at home for the Hymenoplasty
- At home, you must take an antibiotic, an anti-inflammatory drug, a laxative, and an acetaminophen, especially the antibiotic should be wholly completed.
- Within 1-2 days after the Hymeoplasty, you should not take a shower which may potentially cause infection–perhaps rub the body dry.
- After 1-2 days of the Hymeoplasty, you are allowed to take a shower. You should clean the perineum area with soap daily when you are taking a shower in the morning or before bedtime. Do not put anything or clean inside of the vagina.
- Within 2-3 days after the Hymeoplasty, you should take a rest (refrain from work) and be still to enable the wound to heal faster, and have little movement as possible to avoid wound disruption.
- You may experience light reddish bleeding out of the vagina in around 1-2 weeks after the Hymeoplasty, and you should use a sanitary napkin to monitor the bleeding. In case of excessive bleeding or reddish blood clot, swollen wound and high fever, please contact the Center for suggestions or come to see Dr. Vitasna for the surgical wound examination.
- Within 2 weeks after the Hymeoplasty, cleaning the perineum area after urinary excretion may be done with sanitary wipes and after fecal excretion done using water and toweling gently. You should try to avoid moisture around the surgical wound to keep the area dry to let it heal faster.
- You may have all kinds of food, with the exceptions of alcohol drinks, pickled food, and smoking for about 2 weeks after the Hymeoplasty.
- For the Hymenoplasty with mini-Perineoplasty, green-yellowish discharge may be expected after the procedure. The vagina is full of secretions and bacteria, causing reaction to the surgical wound and suture. Itching and curd like discharge may be caused by vaginal yeast infection, after a prolonged use of antibiotic. In case of smelly vaginal discharge or vaginal fungal infection, additional medications may be prescribed.
3. Recovery period for Hymenoplasty
- Recovery varies individually. A day after the Hymeoplasty, you can have movement around, but you should refrain from work and other daily activities in 2-3 days after the surgery. You may return to work after 2-3 days of the surgery. Moreover, you should adhere to the physician’s appointment for follow up examination or treatment.
- Within 2-4 weeks after Hymenoplasty, if the surgical wound does not heal well, you may start your daily activities gradually and energy-consuming physical activities should be limited.
- Within 4-6 weeks after the Hymenoplasty, you may do your usual activities, yet avoiding heavy activities and exercises.
- After 6 weeks of the Hymenoplasty, relaxing exercises and lifting light weights are permitted. However, you should refrain from running, soaking in the bathtub, swimming, heavy lifting, cycling, other heavy activities, and sexual intercourse for 8-12 weeks after the surgery.
4. Suture removal after the Hymenoplasty
- The material (s) used is the suture which dissolves slowly (within 6-12 weeks). However, for some women, the suture takes longer than 6-12 weeks to completely dissolve, consequently irritation. For the women with itching caused by the dissolving sutures and the process of healing, you will be prescribed antihistamine to control the itching.
5. Appointment after the Hymenoplasty
Dr. Vitasna will have a post-operative appointment in 1-2 weeks after the Hymenoplasty or as appropriate. Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions or concerns.