Post-Operative Care Instructions for A-P Vaginal Repair with Mesh
1. Post-operative processes after the A-P Vaginal Repair with Mesh
- After the A-P Vaginal Repair with Mesh, nausea and vomiting may be experienced, as a side effect of the General Anesthetic which is noted to be relieved as soon as its effect wears off. You will be monitored at recovery room for 1-2 hours. When you are conscious with normal vital sign, the anesthesiologist will allow you to be monitored in the Inpatient Building.
- In the Inpatient Building, after the A-P Vaginal Repair with Mesh, you may experience pains in the first 2-3 days, so you should take an acetaminophen, an anti-inflammatory drug, a laxative, and an antibiotic, as prescribed by Dr. Vitasna. In case you have no recovery from the acetaminophen, you will get the analgesic injection. You should take a rest to monitor and reduce pain and inflammation around the surgical wound.
- Urinary frequency or difficulty in urination may be noted due to the tension of the peri-vaginal opening muscle. As a result, you may be catheterized to avoid the retention of urine which may be the cause of cystitis especially in the first 2-3 days after the A-P Vaginal Repair with Mesh. Then, when the tension disappears, you will be able to have urination yourself.
- A few days after the A-P Vaginal Repair with Mesh, you may experience an urge to pass stool (straining) and a sense of incomplete emptying even after the enema before surgery. This is caused by the sutured posterior vaginal wall between rectum and vagina. Taking a rest is recommended to reduce this symptom. Laxatives will be given to prevent constipation.
- Within 3-5 days after the Anterior Posterior Vaginal Repair with Mesh, the patient will be able to have movement and walk around and the patient should not take a shower which may potentially cause infection (perhaps rub the body dry). Cleaning the surgical wound at the perineum area after fecal excretion may be done using water and toweling gently.
- After 3-5 days of the A-P Vaginal Repair with Mesh, the urinary catheter will be removed. After that Dr. Vitasna will ensure that 1) no abnormal bleeding from the surgical wound occurs, and 2) you can have urination yourself after the catheter removal, as well as 3) you are asked to well review post-operative care instructions. Then Dr. Vitasna will allow you to return home.
2. Water contact & Post-operative care instructions at home for the A-P Vaginal Repair with Mesh
- At home, you must take an antibiotic, an anti-inflammatory drug, an acetaminophen, and a laxative, especially an antibiotic which should be wholly completed.
- After 3-5 days of the A-P Vaginal Repair with Mesh, you are allowed to take a shower. You should clean the perineum area with soap daily when you are taking a shower in the morning or before bedtime. Do not put anything to clean inside of the vagina.
- Within 5-7 days after the A-P Vaginal Repair with Mesh, you should take a rest (refrain from work) and be still to enable the wound to heal faster, and have little movement as possible to avoid wound disruption.
- You may experience light reddish bleeding out of the vagina in around 1-2 weeks after the A-P Vaginal Repair with Mesh. A slim sanitary napkin should be used to monitor the post-operative bleeding. In case of a lot of bleeding or blood clot, swollen reddish wound and high fever, please contact the Hospital for suggestions or come to see Dr. Vitasna for the surgical wound examination.
- Within 2 weeks after the A-P Vaginal Repair with Mesh, cleaning the perineum after urinary excretion may be done with sanitary wipes and after fecal excretion done using water and toweling gently. You should try to avoid moisture around the surgical wound to keep the area dry to let it heal faster.
- You may have all kinds of food, with the exceptions of alcoholic drinks, and smoking, for about 2 weeks after the A-P Vaginal Repair with Mesh.
- You may have abnormal vaginal discharge, green-yellowish discharge for 6-8 weeks after the A-P Vaginal Repair with Mesh, because the vagina is full of secretion fluid and various kinds of bacteria. This can cause reaction to the surgical wound and suture, and you may experience itching or curd like discharge as a result of vaginal fungal infection, possibly following taking antibiotic to avoid post-operative infection. In case of smelly vaginal discharge or vaginal fungal infection, you have to take additional medications.
3. Recovery period for the A-P Vaginal Repair with Mesh
- Recoveries vary, you may return to work within 5-7 days after the surgery. Moreover, you should follow Dr. Vitasna’s appointment for follow up examination or treatment.
- Within 2 weeks after the A-P Vaginal Repair with Mesh, tissues are beginning to produce and form new blood capillaries and the surgical wound are expected to start healing. You may start your daily activities gradually.
- Within 2-4 weeks after the A-P Vaginal Repair with Mesh, the surgical wound is expected to heal appropriately, you may start your usual activities gradually; strenuous physical activities should be limited.
- After 4 weeks of the A-P Vaginal Repair with Mesh, relaxing exercises, lifting light weights are permitted. However, you should refrain from energy-consuming activities, running, soaking in the bathtub, swimming, heavy lifting, cycling, and other heavy activities for 6 weeks after the surgery.
- In our center, Anterior Posterior Vaginal Repair with Mesh is recommended only for the older women (not in sexually active women). You should obtain the approval of your partner before surgery as relationship problems and misunderstanding may occur due to abstinence from sexual intercourse after the surgery.
4. Suture removal after the A-P Vaginal Repair with Mesh
- The material (s) used is the suture which dissolves slowly (within 4-6 weeks). However, for some women, the suture takes longer than 6 weeks to completely dissolve, consequently causing irritation. For women who experience itching caused by the dissolving sutures and the process of healing, they will be prescribed antihistamine to control the itching.
5. Appointment after the A-P Vaginal Repair with Mesh
Dr. Vitasna will have a post-operative appointment in 1-2 weeks after the A-P Vaginal Repair with Mesh or as appropriate. Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions or concerns.