Post-Operative Care for A-P Vaginal Repair with Mesh
1. Post-operative processes after the A-P Vaginal Repair with Mesh
- After the procedure, you will be monitored at recovery room for an hour. When you are conscious with normal vital sign, the anesthesiologist will allow you to be monitored in Inpatient Building. Nausea and vomiting may be experienced, as a side effect of the Spinal Injection or the General Anesthetic which is noted to be relieved as soon as its effect wears off.
- After the surgery, you may experience pains in the first 2-3 days, so you should take an acetaminophen, an anti-inflammatory drug, a laxative, and an antibiotic, as prescribed by Dr. Vitasna. In case you have no recovery from the acetaminophen, you will get the analgesic injection. You should take a rest to monitor and reduce pain and inflammation around the surgical wound.
- Urinary frequency or difficulty in urination may be noted due to the tension of the peri-vaginal opening muscle. As a result, you may be catheterized to avoid the retention of urine which may be the cause of cystitis especially in the first 2-3 days after the surgery. Then, when the tension disappears, you will be able to have urination yourself.
- A few days after the procedure, you may experience an urge to pass stool (straining) and a sense of incomplete emptying even after the enema before surgery. This is caused by the sutured posterior vaginal wall between rectum and vagina. Taking a rest is recommended to reduce this symptom. Laxatives will be given to prevent constipation.
- In the first 3 days after the procedure, you should not take a shower which may potentially cause infection–perhaps rub the body dry. You are allowed to take a shower on the third day after the procedure or after the removal of the catheter.
- Cleaning the surgical wound at the perineum after fecal excretion may be done using water and toweling gently. The nurse will clean the wound with antiseptic daily in the morning or before bedtime.
- For 3-5 days after the procedure, the urinary catheter will be removed. After that Dr. Vitasna will ensure that 1) no abnormal bleeding from the surgical wound occurs, and 2) you can have urination yourself after the catheter removal, as well as 3) you are asked to well review post-operative care instructions. Then Dr. Vitasna will allow you to return home.
2. Post-operative care instructions at home for the A-P Vaginal Repair with Mesh
- You must take an antibiotic, an anti-inflammatory drug, an acetaminophen, and a laxative, especially the an antibiotic which should be wholly completed.
- After 3-5 days of the A-P Vaginal Repair with Mesh procedure, you are allowed to take a shower. You should clean the surgical wound at the perineum area with soap daily when you are taking a shower in the morning or before bedtime. Do not put anything to clean inside of the vagina.
- Within 2 weeks after the A-P Vaginal Repair with Mesh procedure, cleaning the surgical wound at the perineum after urinary excretion may be done with sanitary wipes and after fecal excretion done using water and toweling gently. You should try to avoid moisture around the surgical wound to let it heal faster.
- You may have all kinds of food, with the exceptions of alcoholic drinks, and smoking, for about 1-2 weeks after the surgery.
- You may experience light reddish bleeding out of the vagina in around 1-2 weeks after the procedure. A slim sanitary napkin should be used to monitor the post-operative bleeding. In case of a lot of bleeding or blood clot, swollen reddish wound and high fever, please contact the Hospital for suggestions or come to see Dr. Vitasna for the surgical wound examination.
- You may have abnormal vaginal discharge, green-yellowish discharge after the procedure because the vagina is full of secretion fluid and various kinds of bacteria. This can cause reaction to the surgical wound and suture, and you may experience itching or curd like discharge as a result of vaginal fungal infection, possibly following taking antibiotic to avoid post-operative infection. In case of smelly vaginal discharge or vaginal fungal infection, you have to take additional medications.
3. Recovery period for the A-P Vaginal Repair with Mesh
- Recoveries vary, but within the third day after the surgery you can have movement and walk around. You should refrain from daily activities within the first 3-5 days after the surgery.
- You may return to work within 5-7 days after the surgery. Moreover, you should follow Dr. Vitasna’s appointment for follow up examination or treatment.
- Within 2 weeks after the surgery, tissues are beginning to produce and form new blood capillaries and the surgical wound are expected to start healing. You may start her daily activities gradually.
- Within 2-4 weeks after the surgery, the surgical wound is expected to heal appropriately, you may start your usual activities gradually; strenuous physical activities should be limited.
- After 4 weeks of the surgery, relaxing exercises, lifting light weights are permitted. However, you should refrain from energy-consuming activities, running, soaking in the bathtub, swimming, heavy lifting, cycling, and other heavy activities for 6 weeks after the surgery.
- In our center, Anterior Posterior Vaginal Repair with Mesh is recommended only for the older women (not in sexually active women). You should obtain the approval of your partner before surgery as relationship problems and misunderstanding may occur due to abstinence from sexual intercourse after the surgery.
4. Suture removal after the A-P Vaginal Repair with Mesh
- The material(s) used is the suture which dissolves slowly (within 4-6 weeks). However, for some women, the suture takes longer than 6 weeks to completely dissolve, consequently causing irritation. For women who experience itching caused by the dissolving sutures and the process of healing, they will be prescribed antihistamine to control the itching.
5. Appointment after the A-P Vaginal Repair with Mesh
Dr. Vitasna will have a post-operative appointment in 1-2 weeks after the surgery or as appropriate. Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions or concerns.